ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DARPA Hacks GM's OnStar To Remote Control A Chevrolet Impala

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
They already have it in place for high risk borrowers- I'd said when they put that in place, it boded ill. :(

Deozaan:
Is it really hacking when you own it?

"Oh noes! Someone is in my DonationCoder account, making a forum post about GM! h4x! Oh wait it's just me."

wraith808:
Is it really hacking when you own it?

"Oh noes! Someone is in my DonationCoder account, making a forum post about GM! h4x! Oh wait it's just me."
-Deozaan (February 10, 2015, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's proof of concept.  Showing the possibilities.  And yes, it's still hacking... maybe not from an intruder, but it's still hacking.  Like you get hackers to do penetration testing on systems.  Right?

40hz:
Is it really hacking when you own it? -Deozaan (February 10, 2015, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good question. But an even better one would be "Do you actually own it?" Everybody seems to want to merely license rather than sell you things these days. According to Apple and B&N I don't own my devices. I only own the physical artifact itself. Any functionality it provides (and the software that makes it happen) belongs to them. I just get to use it. According to them I'm contractually prohibited from loading any software but theirs on 'their' devices or loading it in any way other than through their app stores too.

A client of mine recently purchased a multifunction network copier/fax/scanner from one of the big names. It comes with a "feature key" hardware thingy which you have to insert and register in order for the device to do anything. I guess they make one device and you get to decide what capabilities you want to to enable and pay for. From what I can see in the EULA, that key is non-transferable. So you may sell your old machine to somebody else - but - it seems they'll need to make arrangements to buy their own key in order for it to function.

I'm hearing of a lot of that sort of thinking lately - although the law is still hazy about how acceptable that concept may be since it acts to restrict the original "owner" from participating in the used equipment market. It's a real problem. Especially since some high priced yoga pants manufacturer is requiring it's buyers to contractually agree not to resell any of their products as a condition of your purchase. (All done in the name of "protecting the unsuspecting buyer," preventing counterfeit products, and "maintaining quality and brand reputation," of course. Yeah, right!. :-\)

So what does it mean to own something these days?

Deozaan:
Is it really hacking when you own it? -Deozaan (February 10, 2015, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good question. But an even better one would be "Do you actually own it?"-40hz (February 10, 2015, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was meant more of a tongue-in-cheek jab at "Government Motors" since the whole GM buyout/too-big-to-fail fiasco a few years back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version