ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Browser Hijackers

(1/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Bleh.

My copies of Firefox just got hijacked by something. But it's weird because I don't use them that often. Meanwhile Palemoon is my "heavy duty" browser and it's fine.

I could do some snooping and maybe figure it out, but that takes work.   :mad:

MilesAhead:
By hijacked you mean the start page was changed?  If so WinPatrol Free version may pick that up just after it happens.  I know it has notified me about start page changes(I use FF mostly) and new stuff in AutoStart.  It's pretty convenient.  And the free version does just about all you would want.

A new developer took over the program with the blessing of Bill P so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with for new features.

Curt:
usually the bugger is the last entry in add/remove programs...

TaoPhoenix:

Good stuff guys, tagged with one of my note programs for one of those days I feel like dealing with that stuff. Meanwhile Miles yes, the start page was changed, but it also tried to install an add-on, which first catches your eye even before your page opens. At least it's good FF put in that thing a while back about "approving add-ons", so that was one step blocked!

Steven Avery:
Another possibility in culprit-hunting is to look for the date of the install of the browser hijacker and see what was installed that day.  The last time I ran into that type of situation, I used Everything and sorted the files on disk by creation date, a flat-view.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version