ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet of Things thread (IoT)

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
So, for people that think the negatives of IoT outweigh the positives and are willing to do some work, they can get a sense of control back by getting, "grokking" and applying router software.
-Shades (October 24, 2015, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why are air gaps considered one of the hardest security mechanisms to get around?

To have the hubris to think that understanding nullifies the risks- well, I'm not going to think that my understanding covers all that I don't know- or all of the ways to hack such an interconnected world.  I've seen people do some pretty scary things to secured systems.

Stoic Joker:
So, for people that think the negatives of IoT outweigh the positives and are willing to do some work, they can get a sense of control back by getting, "grokking" and applying router software.
--- End quote ---

Why are air gaps considered one of the hardest security mechanisms to get around?-wraith808 (October 24, 2015, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

How did we get from locking IoT in a (Pandora's) box to the trials and tribulations of Air Gapping?? I've been thinking for a while now about angling towards Shades' plan of using a completely controllable firewall/border on/to/between the internal and internet networks to try and mitigate WTF is going on with Windows these days.. So how does air gapping - with its range restricted attack surface - play into this?

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

Why are air gaps considered one of the hardest security mechanisms to get around?-wraith808 (October 24, 2015, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

How did we get from locking IoT in a (Pandora's) box to the trials and tribulations of Air Gapping?? I've been thinking for a while now about angling towards Shades' plan of using a completely controllable firewall/border on/to/between the internal and internet networks to try and mitigate WTF is going on with Windows these days.. So how does air gapping - with its range restricted attack surface - play into this?

-Stoic Joker (October 24, 2015, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

In... just don't.  I like the idea of IoT.  But the most secure way of engaging in IoT is... don't.  Which is for all intents and purposes, an air gap.  Between your refrigerator and the internet.  Between everything that could be exploited and the internet.  To be sure, I have some interconnections.  Hell, I just got my Onion Omega (the power switch broke off which is the reason I haven't posted anything yet).

But I'd never connect my power, refrigerator, laundry, or any appliance to the internet.  Because it's more of a risk than I want to take.  The air gap between them is not a security measure I want to do without.

And that's where the second paragraph above comes into play, which was not quoted, i.e.

To have the hubris to think that understanding nullifies the risks- well, I'm not going to think that my understanding covers all that I don't know- or all of the ways to hack such an interconnected world.  I've seen people do some pretty scary things to secured systems.
-wraith808 (October 24, 2015, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
In... just don't.  I like the idea of IoT.  But the most secure way of engaging in IoT is... don't.
-wraith808 (October 24, 2015, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! ...I'm like totally okay with that angle.. ;)

Deozaan:
Start using an old PC as a router (make sure it has 2 good NIC's) for your home. Router software such as Untangle and pfSense are perfectly able to block whatever communication takes place between IoT devices and the outside world. You know, in case you don't care about IoT, but aren't able to buy whatever device you need without IoT.-Shades (October 24, 2015, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Could Untangle run on something like a Raspberry Pi (or the more powerful Odroids)? That would be very low cost in both terms of the hardware and the electricity to run them.

But I'd never connect my power, refrigerator, laundry, or any appliance to the internet.  Because it's more of a risk than I want to take.  The air gap between them is not a security measure I want to do without.-wraith808 (October 24, 2015, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Would you connect those devices to, say, your phone? If so, wouldn't having your refrigerator/coffee Pot/whatever connected to your phone (e.g., via Bluetooth) and having your phone connected to the internet, essentially the same thing as having your refrigerator connected to the internet?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version