ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B on sale now. Lots more for the same $35

<< < (2/3) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Gotta admit...I am HUGELY tempted to buy a batch of these to cluster together (Maybe 10-16 of them in total), and run Windows 10 on them...would be a sweet little supercomputer to have at home xD

40hz:
This looks beyond awesome!...We are just talking about that in #donationcoder
-Stephen66515 (February 02, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool! - I'll cross reference it in my OP above and direct people there to keep it all in one place. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (February 02, 2015, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Erm, that wasn't a thread haha, that's the link to the chat room :D  Sorry if I wasn't clear on that haha  8)

-Stephen66515 (February 03, 2015, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fixed.  :)

40hz:
Gotta admit...I am HUGELY tempted to buy a batch of these to cluster together (Maybe 10-16 of them in total), and run Windows 10 on them...would be a sweet little supercomputer to have at home xD
-Stephen66515 (February 03, 2015, 02:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity, how would you implement it? Using Arch Linux as a base and setting up a Beowulf Cluster seems to be what most are doing. But it may not be a panacea. I've heard that one of the limitations for clustering with the Pi is the lack of power in the CPU. So while it worked rather well for some distributed processing scenarios, parallel processing cases didn't work out quite so well. Maybe with the faster ARMv7 and that additional RAM it will be less an issue?

Another consideration - the roughly $2k (all in) you'd need to budget to do it right would allow you to build a bumpin' PC with a high-end i7 and a ton of RAM. With that machine you could run VMs until the cows come home. So it might be more practical for normal PC use if you don't actually need a render farm or similar non-mainstream environment. Because unless your app supports distributed processing, having a cluster won't get you anything.

Still...it would be fun to build one purely for esthetics... :Thmbsup: 8)

Deozaan:
Just for reference, this was mentioned here:

Raspberry Pi 2 out now; includes support for Windows 10

KynloStephen66515:
I don't actually know what I would use it for tbh.  A little home render farm would be fantastic for 3D design and such (Both me and my Father-in-law both dabble in it so it would be useful for both of us, especially if I made the farm portable!)

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version