topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: stickies Notezilla memoboard as full-blown personal note system  (Read 52153 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: stickies Notezilla memoboard as full-blown personal note system
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 02:34 AM »
The author Logan had made a point here:

OrangeNote – A Smart Note Taker & Clipboard Manager
http://www.makeuseof...ard-manager-desktop/

Feb, 2010
"gave up on the .NET framework because of too many problems with it (performance, memory issues, and just overall limitations and annoyances)."

They said that:

"Update: The developer sent us an email requesting us to put up a small comment saying that the app is again being actively developed. He has also released an upgrade. Check it out"

And that was the April, 2010 update.

I did not see and RTF editor referenced, so I passed for my use.  Also it did not really seem to have a memoboard that was functional like Notezilla.

Steven

yosemite

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Indeed OrangeNote seems to be a a limbo at best since nothing's changed in years.

---

Stephen, could you describe what you mean by "memo board"? I'm not quite getting it.

Also, have you tried PNotes, 7 Sticky Notes, GloboNote?  In what specific ways is Notezilla meeting your needs that they don't?

From playing around with OrangeNote and PNotes and Notezilla, I'm starting to wonder if one of these apps might be a better place for my simple notes, instead of OneNote (which I'm using now) or CintaNotes (which I'm considering). I really like the visualness of them and the ability to move individual notes around easily.

Strong search and filter abilities would really entice me a lot, which is why I'm intrigued by OrangeNote. So far I've put about 300 test notes in it and it seems to have a pretty fast indexed search. No real filtering as far as I can tell though. But then none of the others have an super-easy filter either. In the case of desktop sticky notes, to me a filter would be a search box on the task bar where one could type something in and notes that meet the criteria (e.g. have the text in them) would show up, everything else would be temporarily hidden.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 04:09 AM »
First, the searching.
Notezilla is pretty good on the searching.  
A note browser "answer" comes up to the search, and then you can look at one at a time. Es suficiente, since a lot of Notezilla as a full-blown note systems is based on the tree hierarchy.  

Here is the results of a search for "Donationcoder" on my current Notezilla "NotesBrowser".  
The one note that is showing is the first row, but I can quickly see the 2nd, 3rd row etc.
(My major desired enhancement here is that the "Memoboard" column should have the option to show the whole path to the specific memoboard.  Also I think the titles are not in the search.)

Note that the fact that each individual note can selectively be placed to pop up on webpages is a nice part of the integration ("Windows" on the columns). I am using that aspect more than more.

Next I will show you a new memoboard (page) in action. One that I am just setting up, active notes on Donationcoder threads -- "Donationcoder Discussions".

search.jpg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:53 AM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 04:55 AM »
 This reminds me that I should learn some of the tricks for posting pics.
 Anyway, here is the new memoboard page.

Any Notezilla competitor has to be able to give a similar clear visual representation of an "issue".
 OneNote can allow rectangles to hold each note, but my quick check was not too happy with the visual nature of the result.

donationcoderdiscussions.jpg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:25 AM by Steven Avery »

yosemite

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Ah. Thank you for those screenshots.  I do like the idea of having hierarchical grouping of notes, Notezilla seems to be well-suited for this.

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 06:06 AM »

Thanks Steven,

I don't understand following requests:

"Undue" feature
note "Title" centered capability (you can put in dot to create the result now)
Notes Browser memoboard header (Title, Due, Tags, etc.) layout - default global setting
In that column for the header that is "memoboard", allow full Notezilla path (folders-->subfolders)
Skins be less than global .. e.g. for memoboard

Can you explain with little more words?

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Undue .. oops .. undo ... just undoes the last thing, such as a text change or deletion.  This is more common in word processing programs and is an editing function.  Revert one step.
note "Title" centered capability (you can put in dot to create the result now) ....  The Title of the note is left justified.  Esthetically you might like it in the center.  One way of achieving that now by hand is with a dot and then spaces.   A "center title" option would be nice.  Depends a bit on whether the toolbox supports it.
========================

IMPORTANT
Notes Browser memoboard header (Title, Due, Tags, etc.) layout - default global setting ...
The layout of the columns (Title - Due - Tags) I think are now done memoboard by memoboard.  Generally I want my own specified layout, e.g. I may not be using tags much so that is on the right.  I may want to always have the memoboard column over to the left.  I want to set it up in one spot globally.  "Apply to all memoboards".  (Then it would be nice to be able to change it for an individual one.  But even simply the "Apply to all" would be the real need, I doubt that I would ever change one.)  I did not see this function.
In that column for the header that is "memoboard", allow full Notezilla path (folders-->subfolders) ...
this is also important.  In my picture above where the "memoboard" would be "Donationcoder Discussions" I would like the global option to say instead the path, which is -
   My Puter --> "Donationcoder Discussions"
Thus, if I end up with 200 or 500 memoboards, I can find it right away.
===============================

Skins be less than global .. e.g. for memoboard (forget this one, "skins" are fine.  I think they are simply really "(additional) Memoboard backgrounds".  ) Is that right?  The term skins usually has a wider use.  No problemo.

Thanks!

Steven

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:22 PM by Steven Avery »

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 05:27 AM »

Thanks Steven. I understood all of them. The whole memoboard path would be useful. At least, it should should as part of the tool tip (mouse hover)

Undo already exists. Press Ctrl+Z inside sticky note. It is inside right click (inside sticky note) More->Undo menu also.

Title is centered if the note date (that's on the right of the title) is disabled.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Earlier I wondered about a merge.  I somehow deleted or lost some note branches (I was doing clean up.) Plus I emptied the trash.  There were some notes on an earlier file that I would like to get into the master one.

Any ideas?

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 12:30 AM »

Hello Steven,

You may want to restore notes from Notezilla backup (Notezilla does keep some backup copies).

Please refer the following url to learn how to restore Notezilla notes from backup:
http://www.conceptworld.com/blog/?p=18

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Hi,

Yes, I actually accessed the old notes in that type of way, from an earlier backup.  The backup, however does not have a lot of recent tweaking.

However there are now good notes on both data files that want to be rejoined. ** Probably has to be done by hand.** Maybe using an intermediary word document program, and then going from one file to the other.  If you know of any other way, please let me know. Granted, there may not be enough purpose for this type of techie request, and there is no sky falling down.

========================

btw, I also had a question on the Internet keeping of the notes. (So that they can be accessed on my ipad, I tried it for a week or two and found it "ok", not great but reasonable.) I thought I had paid for a year, until 2/2016 by Paypal (sent you a note privately on this)  but then it expired quickly, and I wrote you an email. Did not see a response.  I let it go since I am happy with the usb sneakernet method, even though it leaves the ipad out of the loop. 

Can you help me unravel those questions? I have been on the road a month so my communication has been spotty, we can use the Donationcoder message method.  I know you try hard to take care of everything well.

==================

From daily usage it would be very good if you instituted the enhancement to have the search show the full "path".  That is the biggest encumbrance to full usage as a note system.  You "find" what you are looking for but then have to do a lot of searching to really find exactly where it is.

Thanks!

Steven
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:33 PM by Steven Avery »

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 05:03 AM »

Thanks Steven. I have taken note of your showing "full path" request when searching notes in Notezilla.

Regarding your subscription, I have sent you a separate email.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Enhancement note: Another one that is sort of minor but would be nice is to include the titles in the searches. 

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 07:10 AM »

Notezilla already searches inside titles when you choose "Look In: Content". Do you want a "Title Only" option?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Yep, all fine.  Maybe it was added, I remember it used to be missing.  Anyway, thanks.  Title only is not needed.

===========

Here is a new request, that came out of my problem.  Two instances of Notezilla running at the same time on different data files.  This could be by a command line parameter.  This would be a great tool for selective merge.

===========

I remember, one Stickie program was strong on sending a note to another user by the net.  Is this an area where a future release of Notezilla might enhance?  If I could send a note or board to another user, that would be really neat.  (i could also accomplish my selective merge request, but dual opens is the best for that.)

================

Right now, I could create an extracted dup. (E.g. For the other people in my company) by making a current backup, deleting my personal leaving the company related boards, saving that to a special name, and then restoring my backup and sending special name over to co-workers puter.  Then they rename back. In fact, I may do that today.

Steven

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2015, 09:22 AM »

You can using Notezilla's Export and Import feature. That might work.

Go to Notes Browser and click on File->Export. You can selectively export notes from old database and then import them in your new latest database.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Sounds good. Hopefully es suficiente.

I realize the net quick messenger style transfer would be a whole new baliwick. An the stickie that does that is missing your superb notes browser structure.  I'm going to think about the quickest, cleanest way to accomplish that.  Currently we use Skype, Facebook Messenger, and played with hipchat.  It would be nice to have a way that maintains Notezilla RTF.  Would I cut and paste into a second stickies program?  Hmmmm.... maybe.  Any suggestions on Messenger programs, preserving RTF?

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2015, 01:07 AM »
Any suggestions on Messenger programs, preserving RTF?

No really.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10 AM »
Here is a new neat request.   I noticed that Windows 10 has OneNote as a printer, with a Print to OneNote option.

Such would be neat with Notezilla.  You could have a special folder for receiving printouts, and then move it later at leisure!  :)

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 12:21 AM »

Yeah. That will be a nice feature to add. I have noted this down. Thanks :)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Here is another, a major improvement:

Stick to Window -- > "Stick Note to Windows selected below:"

ADD to that as one new Window line the current url, allowing it to be shortened, as with the window names.
And check the url match, as well as the window API for a "hit".

Many times you are on a page and want a sticky to stick and the page has a generic name like "Order - Mozilla Firefox" instead of "Amazon".  By allowing "amazon.com" to be part of the url hit that page will be up on all Amazon pages.

Some stickies have worked with url, some with Windows, by having both you will be well-covered.

Steven Avery

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2015, 04:50 PM »

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the suggestion. But Notezilla cannot get the url from the browser. However, we are planning to write some extensions for the browsers so that this is possible.

By they way I tried to contact you several ways (via your pure**** email address) and also sent you private message. Please reply to that earliest.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Sorry to be late to the party....but couldn't a kanban system be (mis-)used for your purposes?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Shade, my biz group is recently working with one online, Kanbanchi. I think they are good for visual collaboration, my sense so far is that they are not as excellent for a full blown note replacement. Remember, I am using Notezilla as, more or less, a replacement for most of the things for which I would normally use Rightnote, Keynote, Treeprojects, etc. It is true that the Kanban joins Notezilla in addressing one of their lacks (non-column orientation) so in that sense it should be looked at.  Plus, any time Rightnote, etc. have a solid column orientation, I would look at it again.  Anyway, Shade, I will look at Kanbanchi and any others with that idea in mind, could they really become a full-blown note system?  (Possibly by using urls to your shared Google Docs, possibly if they have decent native editing.) They would have to have the tree indexing, the fine RTF, take pictures in natively, good search, etc.  The colorful aspect and quick use of Notezilla is one reason it is so pleasant to use.  Plus, the stick to windows would generally be missing in a Kanban, and that is key to how I use Notezilla. Hmmm...

Gautam, I will write you this AM, I was travelling for about a month in Tucson/OroValley and Asheville areas, (now back in Dutchess County, NY) so this type of stuff was low on the priority thing for a bit. Yes, the Firefox (especially) add-on, Chrome #2, would be very nice, all browsers helpful, it would shore up one area, window and page definition, taking it from very good to great.  It is hard to overestimate how helpful it is to have a page come up when you open a program or web page.   Your notes about something then have placement, yet they can still be found in the hierarchal tree or simply by search (which could be improved a smidgen).  This 3-layer cake of finding and using notes is what really makes Notezilla, on top of the color-comfort-RTF-friendliness.

Here is another question.  Any combination of "snap to grid" that lines up in columns?  And/or preformats that are already lined up (e.g. in 3 columns) would be good.  Granted, I can see that because of the screen variableness, this may be more work than help.  Notice that this is, more-or-less, a Kanban feature brought over to Notezilla!

There is one additional area that Kanban is interesting, what you might call the "note, or document, behind the note".  Would this be a feature in Notezilla?  Inquiring minds...  Similarly, any sort of mini-table feature might be interesting (think Rightnote) however that is getting into a whole nother realm, maybe tearing the envelope.  The idea of a note behind the note, however, should be considered. True, the minimizing of a note is the current way of saving space, I may have more thoughts on this after more Kanban usage.

I think the biggest problem with Notezilla is getting people to realize its potential. Normally sticky note concepts are simply a minor aid, and I am talking about a full stretch of the envelope.  However, it works!

Steven
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:44 AM by Steven Avery »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2015, 09:10 AM »
If monthly recurring fees aren't a problem, you could also consider using a system as Jira.

Although it is intended to be a software issue ticket system, you can use it for a lot of different purposes too. You can create projects in Jira, each with their own workflow if you want, works fine in a browser and there are open source/commercial additions that make it really easy to use on a computer/tablet/phablet. Dragging and dropping notes into it is no problem. User access/authorization is very extensive (if you want it to be), workflows too (if you so desire). Searching through issues, notes, comments, descriptions, labels, user(s), user groups etc. is easy. And you can store search queries into filters. User audit trails are covered too.

For a relatively small monthly fee (for small companies) you don't even have to run the Jira server yourselves and you have access to a "well-stocked" store to add whatever functionality you are missing. Even has it own API's to easily add/remove things in automated ways.

The only downside I see with Jira is your RTF requirement. Jira does work work with Markup, but I am not sure about RTF. Perhaps you can find that in their store.

I am familiar with their issue tracker, but they have more collaboration products and if these are in the same quality league as their issue tracker, than you should definitely consider the products of this company.