ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

stickies Notezilla memoboard as full-blown personal note system

<< < (5/16) > >>

superboyac:
Steven, I'm loving this discussion, glad you're back!  
I was thinking about Onenote and why i don't use it.  There's nothing really wrong with it, but I really don't want to commit to it.  I'll tell you what it is...it's one of these popular softwares that impresses you the first week you get introduced to it, and you feel like this is going to do the trick for you.  Then a month later, you realize that you just don't want to use it anymore.

Then, something like Rightnote was the opposite.  At first, I'm like this is the same as every other freaking tree-hierarchy organizer.  But as you use it, it grows on you.  And I can't put my finger on a particular feature that even makes it stand out much.

Then there's wiznote.  It's like evernote, but I like it more.  I'll show a couple of screenshots of why I like it.  I don't use these features much, but it shows that this is my kind of software.

This is the "content extraction" screen. Pretty powerful, shows the user that getting the notes out of there into something else is very possible.

And the note "history" item, with very granular control.

conceptworld:

I just noticed this long discussion about Notezilla. I have taken note of this whole thread so that we think deeply when we need to design the future versions of Notezilla. Very interesting discussion.

Sorry that I cannot go deep into each feature and comment or commit. But I am surely keeping a watch.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Steven Avery:
Here are two more major ones that would make Notezilla visible for prime time, ie. more people would consider it for a full-blown note system.

==========================

6) multiple files available through a File->Open command

Currently the .ini file holds the information given in Advanced-->Preferences-->Advanced

Thus in my system I have:
  DataFolder=D:\Apps\Notezilla\Data
  BackupFolder=D:\Apps\Notezilla\Backup
Instead of the default spots.

I'm not sure if the .ini file itself can be moved (e.g. by a parameter in the shortcut)

So in my Windows 7 system the Notezilla.ini file is at its standard spot:
     c:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Conceptworld\Notezilla\

So if I have multiple .db files, I can look at one at a time by renaming data files, and/or renaming .ini files.
A File-Open command would be much more appropriate.

7) Similar to this in being a functional help, increased versatility, would be a .db merge command.  One that allows one .db file to be added to another, under a new specified folder name. This would allow you to have available very easily a file that you had at another location or another now-dormant computer.

Is there a Navicat style utility for the SQLite .db files?  
Or more specifically something like this:

Database Content Compare and Merge Tool
http://www.altova.com/databasespy/database-compare-tool.html

I plan to try out this solution on test files.

====================

This is very good, at least, for looking at the database structure.

DB Browser for SQLite
http://sqlitebrowser.org/

Although looking at data (again, duplicate test files only) hit some potential snags, eg:

"A table in this database requires a special collation function 'NOCASE' that this
application can't provide without further knowledge.
If you choose to proceed, be aware bad things can happen to your database.
Create a backup!"

Only today am I trying out the "Skins".

They are explained here:
http://www.conceptworld.com/Notezilla/Help#Sticky-Notes-Skins-Downloading-Importing

And the download site is:
http://www.conceptworld.com/Notezilla/Skins

At one point I complained about not having some backgrounds like corkboard, that plaint is now inoperative!  
(Well there should be a corkboard memoboard, which is not quite cartonboard.)

At least when it comes to the notes themselves.
Although I would still like more flexibility on the white background which is the full memoboard background.

You get to applying the skin to a note by the Appearance toolbar button. I had missed using that.

Steven

Steven Avery:
Here are three more small enhancements:

Date format in memoboard (e.g. allow date, not necessarily date plus time)
Possibly similar options on the note date, although not an issue for me, shows date only.

Ctrl-F bring up the search box (this is a habit thing)

Search should include the titles (looks like it passes that up now.)

yosemite:
I just discovered OrangeNote, which looks like it hasn't had any development since 2011.  

BUT it is a pretty cool sticky note program.  I've been testing it out.  It's got pretty robust search, tags, rich text notes, autozooming text sizes (which you can turn off), notes can snap to borders and each other, notes can roll up, colors.

"Pro" version has syncing via desktop but I haven't tried it yet.

I have upgraded to the version 2 beta, which is what allows rich text and some other stuff.   To get it, download the thing on the website, then inside the program setting do auto-update, check the 'beta' box, then 'check now' button. It will find the version 2 beta, then you can download it and upgrade to it.

This looks like a really cool sticky notes program to me, but surprisingly I can find almost nothing about it anywhere on the web.  Probably since the developer hasn't done anything with it in a few years.

http://orangenote.littlesoftware.ca/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version