ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

stickies Notezilla memoboard as full-blown personal note system

<< < (2/16) > >>

superboyac:
I just tried Notezilla (again)...no, it doesn't work for me.  As I mentioned before, a really great feature for rightnote or any similar tree hierarchy is the option to display in masonry-style, all the subnotes.

So I'll be sticking to RN.  I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm still favoring Outliner 4D more and more for more structured glancing at notes and ideas.  But it's a manual process...i dump a bunch of stuff in wiznote, then eventually add the significant items to RN, then if i really need to dig into an idea, I'll do it in Outliner 4D.  I keep looking for tools to simplify this process, but at this point I'm almost philosophically convinced it can't be accomplished with a single tool.

40hz:
I keep looking for tools to simplify this process, but at this point I'm almost philosophically convinced it can't be accomplished with a single tool.
-superboyac (January 30, 2015, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Something I concluded as well a few years ago. But that's ok. I'll settle for "good enough."

A lot of it may also be because I've become significantly less interested in information curation and more interested in ideation.

I sometimes think too much note-taking, planning, and structuring gets in the way of actual thinking and creativity. Because a lot of what they are is (sometimes superfluous) preparation to do something, rather than actually doing it.

Eventually I think I'm going to wind up reverting back to what I used in college before we had all this fancy electronically augmented note and process technology. Which is to say a pen, a couple of blank notebooks - and a rudimentary memory palace. (See Francis Yates book The Art of Memory if you want to get some historical background on the technique(s) employed.)

8)

rgdot:
Something 'unusual' I have done and mentioned in passing here on DC before is use a local WordPress install and make each post a note. It of course has tags, inline images, search, etc. With a theme I can make it look like masonary style, with another (or a plugin) I can make it show a summary (excerpt) of all notes. Another plugin to make it look like a calendar ... on and on.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

One of the problems with both Rightnote and Notezilla is that, due to the lack of a forum, you learn about special uses only in a piecemeal fashion. (Same on other porgrams, like Linkman.)

Superboyac
"I just tried Notezilla (again)...no, it doesn't work for me.  As I mentioned before, a really great feature for rightnote or any similar tree hierarchy is the option to display in masonry-style, all the subnotes."

Can you show how this is done in Rightnote?

I see something interesting in the:

RNUserGuide
Tab - More Features
Tree - Samples -  "Sample Week Template".

Here you have a group of independent boxes (conceptually could be columns or tiles) and the size is variable (increases as data comes in.)  
That, and your picture, are at least in my ballpark.

Searching the help file for "Template"
Takes you to the clipper section only:

"New content is actually added by way of a pre-defined template. Advanced users may want to modify the default templates or create their own. For an example of supported variables take a look at the "BookmarkXX.rvf" templates in the SystemTemplates folder (My Documents\My RightNote\SystemTemplates). Templates can be edited with the RichViewEditor utility that is available at http://www.bauerapps.com/RichViewEditor.zip."

If I can learn the functionality to have RightNote a convenient, linked, full screen (little white-space) note-keeper, then I will likely have an interesting decision as to where to use Notezilla, where Rightnote.

=====================================

As to why Notezilla is working for me, so far, I can get in, find, and add or change very quickly. Looks good.  Allows emphasis. Tree tells me what section I am in. Can move a note from a memoboard to another board super-easily.  When a page gets crowded, you set up a sub-page and put a few related items down there. It actually is very easy to work with.

And  I did not realize what is for me the actual best use capability of Notezilla till recently (maybe I'll set up a set of 4 pics) .. no forum, few pics.  I thought of the memoboard only in the context of the note manager, and everybody has a manager, so it was no great shakes.  At the time.

Likely a similar situation with Rightnote.

I'm taking a little look at Wiznote and Outline 4D.

(I will mention again Listhings, that I only pass by mainly because of the RTF lack. Quite a web page organizer and I have a lot in there ready to move to Notezilla.)

And I agree that you won't find a single tool that does everything.   In my situation, the goal is to have a few tools that help with quick notes, structured research and writing and publishing to the web.  Within the quick notes, I find the concepts behind Notezilla, Rightnote and Listhings all very friendly, even while very different.  Rightnote allows for more advanced types of organization.

Steven

superboyac:
Before you spend too much time looking...let me clarify, Rightnote does NOT have that masonry feature anywhere.  I was trying to say that such a feature for any tree style notetaker would be a nice thing.  I haven't seen it anywhere.  You're picture of notezilla got me thinking about it.
It's the same approach as the windows tiles on windows 8 and windows phones.  It's the best use of space in a rectangular shape.  It's also been a feature we've been seeing more on websites since about 5 years ago.

I totally agree with your initial comment, Stephen, about the wasted whitespace.  That's the big challenge with these notetakers.

Wiznote is basically just like evernote, in some cases worse, some cases better.  I don't have any particular reason to use it other than evernote pissed me off.  But the thing I like best about it is the very flexible exporting ability.  So if i ever change my mind, I can get everything out of there in a good way.

And Outliner 4D....this is not a notetaker by any means.  But for organizing ideas in a structured hierarchy, it's the absolute best that I've ever seen.  And my favorite part...you can print the outline just like you see it on the screen (try printing good looking outlines with any other software)...and also, the outlines can be exported in rtf.  I'm big into the rtf like you, because it retains formatting and is a middleman format for transferring stuff between applications.  I'm totally with you there.

There was a notetaker in the past that kept each note in a separate txt file or something.  Ah...Am-Notebook!  But I never latched on to that.  The idea of keeping notes in separate files was interesting, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version