ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

stickies Notezilla memoboard as full-blown personal note system

(1/16) > >>

Steven Avery:
This thread and idea comes out of a couple of recent discussions.

editor with built-in column or tiling facility - (Listhings comes close)
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=39951.0

The (stickies) memoboard as a column-based editor, flexible size rectangles, has turned out to be my fav, as in the pic below.

Also I want to look at some of the benefits, and some of the needs, with Notezilla if you use it this way.  Other sticky programs can be considered if they have a memoboard implementation.  This thread may double as my Notezilla discussion thread.  One reason I am ready for this is that I have some of the elements nicely laid out on my Notezilla memoboard dedicated to Stickies programs! Notezilla helps me keep track of Notezilla weaknesses as well as strengths.

Web-based memoboard implementations (eg. Listhings, which only lacks the RTF, having tabs rather than a tree structure) can also be compared.  My requirements will differ from others, so by going over the major feature set, it might help with the idea.

===========================================================

Goal

1) tree and/or tabbed note system

2) free-form structure that allows column-based and tile-based representations.  
   a) avoid massive white-space common to desktop note programs
   b) match the fact that different types of thinking have different length and style notes appropriate

3) RTF - (also background colors) (also take pics from the clipboard)

4) ease of use on editing, sizing, searching, moving from one topic to another.
    stability & support
    pleasant to navigate and use

Major Auxiliary Elements

multi-user collaboration, network, sync and/or export-import capbabilities

webpage annotation system (Internote stickies and Diigo-style workspaces, where Notezilla is at least in the mix)

publish to web (e.g. Menomic) - (FYI: Notezilla may have some utility here per memoboard by things like HTML export)

tablet capable

multi-OS

Overlap areas. They will not be the prime decision areas. Why?  Because I am in my note program 20-50 times in a day.  It really wants to be pleasant and quick.  If the note program I like the most is only used with USB or Dropbox style sharing, that is fine by me. For this function, I don't want a less happy program just for the "use easily anywhere" experience. I also like the fact that Notezilla and Vueminder will be happy Taskbar companions, always one click away, never lost in the Tab Maze.

Saying that, I will acknowledge that  Listhings, a free web-memoboard, able to be used anywhere, is quite fine overall for many note uses. I simply like my notes in RTF, which is not available, and there is no active development. Backing up and persistence up is also less clear. If a webboard did have all the basics, it might surpass using Notezilla.

My other related tools ?

Xerpi - VueMinder Calendar - Linkman - Firefox with extensions and bookmarks - Lastpass
Hmmm... I mention this because there is a type of data relatedness that makes these programs central. The first step on the net is Xerpi, as a startpage.

Other browsers are used, Facebook has its place, document programs are utilized. At work, there is a CRM / project and task manager, yet the group above make my daily personal net navigation experience. Contacts can be in Linkman, often with the keyword "addy", so this bypasses the PIM. (VueMinder can do structured contacts with custom fields, if needed also there are free web CRMs). At the moment Listpro and Todolist and Task Coach and Swift Todo and database and others are mostly on vacation. Rightnote is curtailed, on a diet.

Overall, I want to put as much as possible into the Notezilla and Linkman quasi-freeform structure. Many databases are de facto in Linkman, like software registrations with keyword SN#.  Screenshots and file managers and utilities and  DriveHQ and backup are a separate region. Documents and writing and research are a separate region.

Next, I want to go into where Notezila shines, and improvements desired.

Steven

app103:
For multi-user collaboration, I'd suggest taking a look at Trello, which can also serve as a fantastic project management tool.

They use it a lot where I work, for everything from assigning books & courses to teaching assistants, to brainstorming for new project ideas, to their Agile board.

I have begun using it for collaboration with a few other people, to organize the books yet to be added to my free programming ebook site (which was a lot of work copying over my Notezilla notes for every book to be considered, but well worth it)

stickies Notezilla memoboard as full-blown personal note system

There are quite a few videos about Trello on youtube, covering everything from using it as a personal ToDo list to project management. It has a lot of features that Notezilla doesn't have.

Oh, and it's free!  ;)

superboyac:
Trello looks very cool.  I'd like to try it and see how it compares to Slack.

Stephen, why did you stop using Rightnote?  I'm curious because it seems like we have the same needs.  I'm currently kind of dedicated to RN, but I haven't been exploring these other interesting options.  I don't find Rightnote lacking except for one thing which is not its fault...it's a tree hierarchical organizer, so they are all basically the same visual experience.  Something like what you showed with Notezilla is better in the sense that I can clearly and quickly glance at several notes at once.  You know what would be a great feature for RN...if you clicked on a folder containing subnotes, and all the subnotes are displayed the way you show for notezilla.  Instead, it just behaves like a regular note.

40hz:
I've worked with some people who have completely committed to using Trello. I does what it's designed to do. And it works quite well. I am not personally enamoured of it. But I have my own work/planning tool preferences, so that shouldn't count for much. Well worth a look.

app103:
I'd like to try it and see how it compares to Slack.
-superboyac (January 30, 2015, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not really comparable to Slack and would not replace it. (we use both at work)

I would compare Slack to other live chat environments, such as IRC, Jabber, texting over Skype, etc.

Trello has more in common with stickie notes and project management software, than a chat room or instant messaging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version