ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

ALERT! How to test for GHOST security hole now affecting major distros

<< < (2/2)

Innuendo:
I have mixed feelings about this and other high-profile vulnerabilities that have hit Linux recently. I'm really sorry that people are having to deal with these things and so much data on Linux systems world-wide have been at serious risk.

However, there is a part of me that is really enjoying the peacefully quiet void left by all the idiots who use to yell at the top of their lungs about how Linux is the only operating system people should use because it would never, ever be hit with a serous security flaw like Windows has been in the past because of the awesomeness that is open-source software.

People need to realize that all software of any significant size and complexity can have bugs and vulnerabilities because people, even open-source devs, can and will make mistakes. Even the much-vaunted Mac OS X has had some seriously wicked vulnerabilities and security flaws. They just don't get much press because the user base is so small.

40hz:
However, there is a part of me that is really enjoying the peacefully quiet void left by all the idiots who use to yell at the top of their lungs about how Linux is the only operating system people should use because it would never, ever be hit with a serous security flaw like Windows has been in the past because of the awesomeness that is open-source software.
-Innuendo (January 31, 2015, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

The operable word there is "idiots."

Nobody who knows anything about software, particularly operating systems, would ever make such an argument. In fact, the common wisdom for the last several years has been: When Linux reaches enough critical mass to be worth targeting, Linux will be targeted just like any other OS.

The big difference with Linux is how often and quickly issues get identified, publicly acknowledged, and fixed when they come to light.

I haven't seen that anywhere else. And I started back when things like Unix, VAX, VM/CMS and OS/360 were the operating systems that got used.

Innuendo:
40hz, I agree with every point you made. I'm just enjoying the peace and quiet while the idiots find something else to beat their drums about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version