topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: sound volume toggle using fn + f11 and f12 keys  (Read 8822 times)

Harry Lake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wanted: sound volume toggle using fn + f11 and f12 keys
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:42 AM »
My Win8.1 netbook uses the function key together with f11 and f12 to push sound volume down or up respectively. This is all very well, but it's a bit of a pain in the neck as I have to reduce and subsequently increase volume quite often. I'd like a small utility that would let me first set my own low and high volume levels and then switch instantly between them, still (if possible) using function-f11 and function-12.

Cheers,
Harry
PS I have spent some time searching but have found nothing like this so far. Apologies if I have missed something.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: sound volume toggle using fn + f11 and f12 keys
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 06:46 PM »
seeing as no one else has picked this up here's something I just dashed off that might fill a gap

Uses the WIN key instead of the function key so it doesn't interfere with the original functionality

default values are 25% and 50% and can be changed via the tray menu

edit 280114: bug fix
edit 290114: attachments deleted
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:29 PM by Target »

Harry Lake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Um, thanks very much Target. I have a slight problem, however: when I try to run the exe I get an error message saying 'Can't load icon'. Line 014.

Otherwise  :) it sounds exactly what I need! I assume down there in Brisbane you're tucked up in bed as I write this (though probably not tucked up, come to think of it, unless your air con is doing overtime). But when you have another moment...

Cheers,
Harry

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27 AM »
This is a great idea :up:

Um, thanks very much Target. I have a slight problem, however: when I try to run the exe I get an error message saying 'Can't load icon'. Line 014.

I got the same error, but it did actually load to tray - with icon - and worked as planned.
(Win.7 x64)

---------------------------
SoundsLake.exe
Error:  Can't load icon.

Specifically: autohotkey.exe

Line#
--->   014: Menu,tray,icon,autohotkey.exe,2

The current thread will exit.
OK  
Tom

Harry Lake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:41 AM »
tomos - Many Thanks! How useful it is that DC members are scattered all over the planet! One may be enjoying a well-earned night's rest, but there'll still be another one along soon.

Now to refresh my memory about how to put it in the startup list...

Cheers,

Harry

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 04:27 PM »
my bad, sorry :-[

Harry Lake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Target - (morning!) have no fear, I have been well looked after and have been using the program with great satisfaction despite the minor blemish as reported. My main reason for wanting it is that I am constantly allowing myself to be distracted from my work and then I want to push the volume up for e.g. newscasts or YouTube clips, then dropping back down so that the various beeps, clicks, bells and whistles that alert me to emails from particular individuals or groups don't drive me mad. (There are those who would say it is too late for me to do anything about that particular risk...).
I shall now download what is presumably a - what shall we say, refined and polished? - new version.
One question (not in any way a criticism!): What made you put the Low setting at the top and the High at the bottom? (Yes, I do realize that once you've chosen the place for one, the place for the other becomes an automatic 'choice'... :) )
At some stage I'll look into writing stuff, perhaps. I was interested to see the program can compile AutoIt scripts. (How odd that the spelling checker thinks 'was' in the previous sentence is misspelt.) I use one or two AutoIt scripts that I wrote myself some years ago now.
Cheers all,
Harry

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56 PM »
I shall now download what is presumably a - what shall we say, refined and polished? - new version.

hehe, if deleting one line from the code is polished, then yes 8)

What made you put the Low setting at the top and the High at the bottom?

no reason, other than the fact that it seem natural to me, eg low/high, left/right, up/down, etc.

there is nothing to say the settings gui needs to be in that format, it was just easy and generic.  If you wanted to reverse the layout, or put it side by side, or in something more esoteric that's potentially all doable, it's really up to you.

I included the source so you can look at the code and have a play if you're inclined, otherwise just post your preferences and I'll see what I can do

Harry Lake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Hi Target,
I know this is hardly a Quick Reply, but that's the whole point of it - I just wanted to say I've been using SoundsLake at least once every day for over two years now (it feels like much longer, for some reason) and I'm still just as enthusiastic as ever. Especially as I've at last discovered how to avoid having to give permission every time. (Why Windows won't let you have a whitelist for programs it doesn't recognize but which you do is beyond me.)
So Thanks Again!
Harry
PS Don't forget, if you've got nothing else to do, an equivalent program for screen brightness using f5 and f6 would be very welcome!
PPS I upgraded to W10 just before the free upgrade offer ran out.