ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Darwinism + geneticism + two-wheeled vehicles = ... awesomeness.

<< < (8/8)

AndyM:
I think the angle of the shock absorbers makes a difference.

Deozaan:
NECRO THREAD, ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

I recently came across this, from the same guy who did the first one.

Genetic Algorithm Walkers
How is the score calculated?
In order to promote upright walking, each creature receives points based on how high the head is in relation to its feet, and how much it advances while upright. Bonus points are given for each proper step forward.
--- End quote ---

I don't find it nearly as fun to watch as the genetic cars, but it's still pretty spiffy.

As an aside, after playing around with the Genetic Cars again, I was unsatisfied with how some things worked. I saw that the source was available, so I've been referring to it to make something similar in Unity. Here are some screenshots of my progress (click to embiggen):

Here's one of my earliest screenshots after getting the basic (though still somewhat incomplete) car generation working:

Here's one that wins the award for BEST PROCEDURALLY CREATED CAR EVAR!!!!111:

And here's a rather sporty little car that was doing great compared to its peers, but my timing on the screenshot was poor. It's doing a little nosedive after coming down off a hill:

mouser:
As an aside, after playing around with the Genetic Cars again, I was unsatisfied with how some things worked. I saw that the source was available, so I've been referring to it to make something similar in Unity.
--- End quote ---

Fantastic!  There are few things as enjoyable as writing code that surprises you, and these kinds of experiments can be so enjoyable.

cranioscopical:
There are few things as enjoyable as writing code that surprises you
-mouser (February 11, 2015, 04:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
When Last did you do so?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version