topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free course on Hugo, a static site generator written in Go  (Read 6514 times)

jaden

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free course on Hugo, a static site generator written in Go
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:21 AM »
I jumped on the static site generator bandwagon a little less than a year ago. As with most things, I spent quite a bit of time researching a load of options to find the "best" one. I really liked Hugo and its speed, and have used it to run the new site I created ever since. I hit a lot of snags when I was initially setting up the site, and I felt like that might keep others from using Hugo.

I'd also wanted to create a course on Udemy, so I created a course on Hugo. As a sort of beta test, it's free with a discount link until the end of the month.

Here's the link to sign up for the free course (It will be valid until 31 Jan 2015 at the stroke of midnight)

Feedback or questions would be much appreciated. It's easy to forget things that make sense now, but didn't when I first started using it.

And even if you don't choose Hugo but you start using another static site generator, I think you'll like the workflow. I really enjoy writing my content in Markdown and being able to git push to publish.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free course on Hugo, a static site generator written in Go
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Neat!!  I spent some time recently learning and playing with Go (see here).

jaden

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:37 PM »
Cool. I have played with Go too and I really like it. I've read a few books and have thought about creating something with it, but I haven't carved out the time yet. It's a lot of fun to experiment with different languages. It's harder to sit down and work through a project and fix all the bugs, especially when you're just starting out :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Nice... I've signed up.  Thanks for the discount!  I'd not heard of hugo before, and this is a good time to look at expanding past Wordpress in my website skillset.  Thanks!

jaden

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:51 PM »
You're very welcome, thanks for signing up :up:

You may have seen it already, but I go over how I converted a Wordpress theme to use with Hugo. It might help you make sense of Hugo's templates since you're already familiar with Wordpress.

And please let me know about any questions, mistakes or just general comments.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Haven't gotten too far yet... but you do have a very pleasing, clear, and calm voice.  I never could do that on voice overs. :)  I'm at Lesson 5 so far, and I'm glad that you didn't rush into the topic, even though a lot of it I knew.  More of a comparison to other static generators would have been a nice thing... I'm liking hugo better than jekyll already!

Good show... and I'll let you know how it progresses.

jaden

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:08 PM »
That's good to hear about the voice - I don't want to be stressing anyone out. And that's a great idea to do more of a comparison of other static generators, with a summary and pros/cons. I could add that as a lesson.

Thanks for the feedback, it's extremely helpful (and I look forward to more as you get farther on)