topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win7 update loop  (Read 9249 times)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Win7 update loop
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:36 AM »
How do I shut off Windows 7 update?
It's wasting time installing the same update again on every shutdown.

edit: Found it. Tnx anyway.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3419759/how-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows/
quote:
"Thankfully, there's an easy fix for this, here's what you need to do:

1. In Vista and Windows 7, click Start, type Windows Update, and then hit Enter. In XP, head to the Control Panel and seek out Windows Update.

2. Click the Change Settings option at left.

3. Change the setting to Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

4. Click OK.

That's all there is to it. Windows may still nag you about installing updates, but at least it won't reboot without your permission."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:42 AM by bit »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win7 update loop
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:16 AM »
Go to Start > All Programs > Windows Update > View update history
another address for the same place is: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history

Hide content

Problem:
I keep being offered an update from Windows that I don’t want.

Solution:
You can hide the update, and then Windows Update won't offer it to you again unless you choose to restore it.

Here's how to hide an update:

1) Click to open Windows Update.
2) Do one of the following:
  • Click the link that tells you important updates are available if you have important updates to hide.
  • Click the link that tells you optional updates are available if you have optional updates to hide.
3) Select any update that you want to hide, right-click it, and then click Hide update. Do this for each update you want to hide.

Click OK
2015-02-14_102031.gif

This way you keep Windows updated  :up: despite the one bugger.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:50 AM by Curt, Reason: picture »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 05:16 AM »
Probably a bad download that can't install properly - why not reset windows update and let windows do the update properly - or else download it and do it manually?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Probably a bad download that can't install properly - why not reset windows update and let windows do the update properly - or else download it and do it manually?

+1 - Windows updates do on occasion get stuck on a bad File. If you find out which one is looping you can Google it and probably find a few other people with the same problem...and a fix. If not, hide only the problem child...do not disable everything.

Speaking of bad WU behavior, has anyone else noticed Windows suddenly deciding to re-enabled the automatic reboot by itself? I've been on a manual update schedule for years. But this past week - after making none of my own changes - my computer just decided to start rebooting for updates ... All by its evil little self.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Speaking of bad WU behavior, has anyone else noticed Windows suddenly deciding to re-enabled the automatic reboot by itself? I've been on a manual update schedule for years. But this past week - after making none of my own changes - my computer just decided to start rebooting for updates ... All by its evil little self.

I didn't notice that specifically, but I had to unistall the recent KB3013455 update on XP, as it messed up my fonts (made them all blurry) in Firefox and Chrome: Patch Tuesday: Font Corruption with KB3013455

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:57 AM »

+1 - Windows updates do on occasion get stuck on a bad File. If you find out which one is looping you can Google it and probably find a few other people with the same problem...and a fix. If not, hide only the problem child...do not disable everything.

Mine didn't do that exactly. It was insisting on rebooting after installing an update, which I assumed meant my son installed one without asking/telling me. He insists that didn't happen.

However, automatic updates are not enabled and there is at least 1 pending update which hasn't been installed, once again suggesting my son wasn't responsible. He wouldn't have any reason to pick just 1 to install.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:02 AM »
However, automatic updates are not enabled and there is at least 1 pending update which hasn't been installed, once again suggesting my son wasn't responsible. He wouldn't have any reason to pick just 1 to install.

Hm... same here, is yours KB3021917 from 2/10/15 also?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:36 AM »
I set mine to never check for updates.  I just looked by pressing Winkey Q and typing Updates in settings.  It told me I last checked for updates on 12/10/2013.

One thing I noticed.  Getting off that screen is not very intuitive.  After fumbling around Alt Tab did the trick.  I'm not sure if it's because I have Classic Shell installed.

I tried reading through updates in case I needed any and selecting individual ones to install.  I found myself wasting half a day just on that.  So I turned it off altogether.  I can't be doing that every Tuesday.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 03:45 PM »

"KB3021917 from 2/10/15"--> yes. Ran Microsoft FixIt, and it failed again. Switched off updater for now.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:17 PM »

Why yes it is. Very interesting indeed.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 06:01 PM »
This way you keep Windows updated  :up: despite the one bugger.

I've done this (I'm on XP), but KB3013455 keeps reinstalling itself, making the font in FF and Chrome all blurry. Can I stop this update from installing some other way, without disabling the auto update? (The update is being triggered by Cacheman somehow anyway, since MS is not supporting XP any longer.)

---

P.S. I changed it to "Download updates, but let me choose when" option for now. Let's see, maybe this will stop it from installing automatically every time, despite the fact that I unticked the box.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:06 PM by dr_andus »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 06:08 PM »
This way you keep Windows updated  :up: despite the one bugger.

I've done this (I'm on XP), but KB3013455 keeps reinstalling itself, making the font in FF and Chrome all blurry. Can I stop this update from installing some other way, without disabling the auto update? (The update is being triggered by Cacheman somehow anyway, since MS is not supporting XP any longer.)

---

P.S. I changed it to "Download updates, but let me choose when" option for now. Let's see, maybe this will stop it from installing automatically every time, despite the fact that I unticked the box.

P.P.S. OK, I see. this now brought up a dialog box "Hide Updates" and "don't notify me about them." Maybe that was the step I missed before.