ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 as an Internet service?

<< < (6/10) > >>

dr_andus:
I wouldn't think you'd have to install it to get the upgrade, nor have zero media.  Why not get the upgrade, and just not install it?
-wraith808 (January 26, 2015, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, can that be done? I thought there would be some activation code or licence that expires?

wraith808:
I wouldn't think you'd have to install it to get the upgrade, nor have zero media.  Why not get the upgrade, and just not install it?
--- End quote ---

Oh, can that be done? I thought there would be some activation code or licence that expires?
-dr_andus (January 26, 2015, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

If they do it the same as the Windows 8 upgrade?  No... not really.

40hz:
Gavin Clarke over at The register puts his two cents in. Read it
-40hz (January 26, 2015, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting article, thanks for this. One thing I don't get it why MS thinks being so cryptic about their plan is a good thing. Their event raised more questions than answers, and now everyone out there is reading the tea leaves and trying to make sense of stupid things like what did MS mean by a "device". They could have just spelled out the plan, rather than allow for all these speculations to proliferate (and most of them seem to draw negative conclusions).

Could they be really so bad at marketing? What is that about? Or maybe they haven't actually agreed on a plan yet (which is not a good sign either)? Or maybe the plan (the truth) is even more negative than the speculations? I just can't see how it could be a good thing to leave millions of customers out there scratching their heads.-dr_andus (January 26, 2015, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the short answer is:

* Yes. They actually are that bad at marketing....and

* Yes. They are not exactly sure how they want to play it just yet.
Some people might say (but you know the sort of things they say....) that this is more a bellwether to gauge audience reactions and objections before finalizing the details of their offer.

As far as causing uncertainty, Microsoft has made an art of that. Keeping everybody guessing - even after the fact - is not something Microsoft has a philosophical or moral issue with. If you don't believe it, try asking them a direct question about their licensing. You'll get some of the fanciest tap dancing all around the room since Mr. Bo-Jangles died.

As for the free upgrade, I will probably wait until the last week of the 11th month to see all the feedback on the bugs and issues etc., whether it's really worth it or better to stick with Win7 (unless the early feedback will be really amazing). But to be honest, all I heard so far is that they bring back features for which there are already better 3rd party tools anyway (like the Start menu), so I'm not seeing yet the fabulous benefits of upgrading.

--- End quote ---

Yep. It's mostly how to fix what's wrong without admitting it was your 'bad' that caused it.

However, Windows 8, once stripped of all the Sinofsky gingerbread & garland, is a really good OS. The underpinning system is easily the best  and most secure (which isn't saying much for that part) Microsoft ever came up with. It's solid and smooth. But like a puma in a pinafore, it's not the cat - it's that stupid dress they wrapped it in that screwed everything.

They intend to tombstone Windows 7. So as long as Windows 10 does as it claims on the tin, and doesn't try to fence you in too much without a viable escape hatch (which is probably too much to hope for), it's probably silly not to upgrade. Or at least no sillier than sticking with Windows to begin with.

40hz:
I wouldn't think you'd have to install it to get the upgrade, nor have zero media.  Why not get the upgrade, and just not install it?
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing they'll handle it through the same mechanism they use for their Anytime Upgrade. It'll probably read your ID and activation info, and update their customer database so they know you requested the upgrade - and then irrevocably move you up to 10 - after which you likely won't ever be able to downgrade to (or reactivate) Windows 7. Even if you have disks. If you need system backups or want machine specific restoration disks, you'll have to make them using the recovery tools already built into Windows. Just like you can now.

Seriously. This will be a one-way corridor you'll have to contractually agree (via the EULA) to walk down. The primary reason they're doing this "for free" is to get you off Windows 7, regardless of whatever other reasons they may also have. And they intend to do it once and for all when they do. No repeating that XP holdout debacle.

Microsoft may be clueless at times. But they're not stupid.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing they'll handle it through the same mechanism they use for their Anytime Upgrade. It'll probably read your ID and activation info, and update their customer database so they know you requested the upgrade - and then irrevocably move you up to 10 - after which you likely won't ever be able to downgrade to (or reactivate) Windows 7. Even if you have disks. If you need system backups or want machine specific restoration disks, you'll have to make them using the recovery tools already built into Windows. Just like you can now.

Seriously. This will be a one-way corridor you'll have to contractually agree (via the EULA) to walk down. The primary reason they're doing this "for free" is to get you off Windows 7, regardless of whatever other reasons they may also have. And they intend to do it once and for all when they do. No repeating that XP holdout debacle.

Microsoft may be clueless at times. But they're not stupid.

-40hz (January 26, 2015, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

But that wasn't the way that the Windows 8 upgrade was handled for the same purpose.  I received media to install.  If there's no media and such, there's no way in HELL I'm taking them up on that offer.  And I think that anyone that has any modicum of sense would do the same.  There's too many reasons to need media to fall for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version