topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: wireless networking and wifi printer help  (Read 39024 times)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: wireless networking and wifi printer help
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2015, 09:25 AM »
I've currently got an HP LaserJet 4050dn here in IT, and a standing threat to shoot anybody that tries to wander off with it.

That is my main workhorse too. Got it used from a client with 65K pages worth of use on it for $50. It's still going strong. The 4xxx series was one of the best HP ever produced IMO. I also had a LaserjetIII (with Postscript cartridge!) that I bought new when it first came out. That "boat anchor" performed yeoman’s service right up until the day a client's 3-year old kid (an out of control little brat if there ever was one!) yanked the PS cartridge out and then rapidly plugged it back in three or four times in a row while the unit was running. After that, it would only print two pages at a time before a print job timed out. It got replaced by a Laserjet 4 the following week.

When I ran (or rather was) the IT department for a rural water utility, I spent more than a few hours arguing with the people who used our 4050 because they wanted a new printer. It started life as the billing printer and got handed off to their department after being replaced by a 9150. They eventually  managed to get their way just because they needed to be able to run 2 print jobs at a time. IIRC I got them a pair of 4250s for that.

Since I couldn't stand to let it go to waste, I shuffled it over to the woman responsible for the members' monthly newsletter. In reality, the only reason everybody hated it was the noise. I guess hated the noise too, but it was the one coming out of their mouths.

Personally, I would have traded the lot of them for another 4050. It was more productive than all of them combined. It also never helped defraud the FDA out of $45 million dollars.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2015, 11:26 AM »
In reality, the only reason everybody hated it was the noise.

After a few 100,000 pages the (plastic) drive gears tend to get a bit (worn) noisy, but the gear kit and labor aren't that bad IIRC (I never had to pay for one, but I did several). Otherwise they're a very quiet printer. Mine sits right next to the phone:

I had a LaserJet 4100 and loved it - It had 1.2 Million Pages on it..
It got replaced by a LaserJet 4015, and I hated the noisy thing - Couldn't hear on phone.
Now I have LaserJet 4050 - with good gears - and I can once again hear on the phone just fine.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2015, 04:47 PM »
IIRC that was the conclusion I reached after some research, but it never got high enough on my list to try it out. Knowing how things worked there, they would have kept demanding a new printer anyway. Wasting money was sort of a culture, at least among the privileged few who were favorites of the president.

The president was also behind the fraud. Big surprise.

That does remind me of another reason I love HP's enterprise products so much. When you have a problem, you can usually find the solution online in a few minutes.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

elvisbrown

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Programmer - what else
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 02:51 AM »
We recently bought a Brother wireless printer in the hope that we could print from any of several laptops and other devices we have.

Ha! Nice idea but!

The Windows laptops consistently lose the connection to the printer (can't find printer) and the only solution is to remove the printer then go through the set-up instructions again.

Then I bought a Macbook Pro and bugger me if it doesn't find the printer immediately and do something in the background for a few seconds then start printing. Never bloody fails!

To me it made it clear that it is a Windows issue. If a Mac can get it right every time why can't Windows?
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 07:04 AM »
The Mac is reliant on the rather loquacious Bonjour protocol, which frequently needs to be disabled on Windows networks because it quite consistently screws up name resolution.

The much more sedate windows name resolution (NetBIOS) frequently suffers at the hands of overzealous security software blocking the name broadcasts causing them to not resolve. Typically this is mitigated by using a static address for the printer, and pointing the print driver's port at the static address.

Other possibility is the very not ready for prime time WSD port technology that causes a 20-45 second lag in the print jobs...or just fails causing much anguish for all. We -(or more specifically I)- do not allow printer installs to be left with (the sadly now default) WSD ports because of the almost 100% failure rate of the technology.

Note: Failure rate above is based on the number of time something either didn't connect frequently, or just started lagging bad enough to piss people off, within a month of the initial install. Most people snap in the 10-15 second range.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36 PM »
The much more sedate windows name resolution (NetBIOS) frequently suffers at the hands of overzealous security software blocking the name broadcasts causing them to not resolve. Typically this is mitigated by using a static address for the printer, and pointing the print driver's port at the static address.

:wallbash:

You have just answered a problem I was having with a friend's network printer ... have a beer on me  :Thmbsup:

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Go to a Goodwill resale store or equivalent and pick up a perfectly good G router for $10 or less.  Linksys WRT54G's seem to be hitting these stores in large numbers and I had one for years and never had a problem.  It is fast enough for printing. If it doesn't work Goodwill takes returns - if you don't wait too long.

As others said, cable the printer direct to the router and eliminate any wireless issues from that leg. 
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.