ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Congratulations Terrorists, You are getting what you want!

(1/8) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
In wake of Paris shootings, Prime Minister wants to ban encryptions that government can't read in extreme situations
--- End quote ---

What does this mean?:  In short, it means that if the government can't snoop on your conversations...they won't allow it.

Terrorists have been fighting for years to stop people from having freedom to speak freely, and now they are winning because the governments are so blatantly stupid, they are giving them exactly what they want.

David Cameron could block WhatsApp and Snapchat if he wins the next election, as part of his plans for new surveillance powers announced in the wake of the shootings in Paris.

The Prime Minister said today that he would stop the use of methods of communication that cannot be read by the security services even if they have a warrant. But that could include popular chat and social apps that encrypt their data, such as WhatsApp.

Apple's iMessage and FaceTime also encrypt their data, and could fall under the ban along with other encrypted chat apps like Telegram.

The comments came as part of David Cameron's pledge to revive the “snoopers’ charter” to help security services spy on internet communications today.

He said: “In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which […] we cannot read?” He made the connection between encrypted communications tools and letters and phone conversations, both of which can be read by security services in extreme situations and with a warrant from the home secretary.

But companies such as WhatsApp have remained committed to keeping their services encrypted and unable to be read by authorities, a project which has stepped up in the wake of the Edward Snowden’s revelations on NSA surveillance.
--- End quote ---

I will translate a part of that quote, which originally reads: “In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which […] we cannot read?”

Translation: "We want to read anything and everything people who live in this country write...no matter what...and fuck you if you have a problem with it"

No doubt there will be massive petitions raised against this...as it is once again a simple case of "Snooping in the false name of security", except this time, the papers are actually reporting the issue and for once, actually giving people reason to understand why this is a stupid idea.  Finally, BOTH sides are being published.

Quoted Text from: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/whatsapp-and-snapchat-could-be-banned-under-new-surveillance-plans-9973035.html

Oh, and by the way...don't think that just because this is a UK thing, that other countries won't follow suit...if the UK allows it, the USA and the rest of the world would quickly follow suit.

This post is not here to start any sort of political ranting or anything else that could be deemed Basement Worthy.  For those please refer to: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=40009 (BASEMENT THREAD)

Renegade:
I'm friggin' dying to comment/rant on this... I'll restrain myself... (Damn you Stephen! :P )

It's ridiculous. For countless reasons. I'll list one...

For those of us that communicate electronically with sensitive or confidential business information, it is entirely reasonable to encrypt our communications.

I'm dying here...

tomos:
You're making a habit of starting 'basement-style' threads Stephen :p

Renegade:
Can't resist 1 more...

Also, it's impossible. HTTPS, TLS, etc. etc. etc. He's proposing on breaking everything as what he's proposing isn't possible. And people will just use something else, like "F*** Cameron Chat" or something.

wraith808:
You're making a habit of starting 'basement-style' threads Stephen :p
-tomos (January 13, 2015, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

... and not starting them in the basement...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version