ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Convert sequence of images to video (with ffmpeg?)

(1/3) > >>

Deozaan:
Hello,

Every so often I have a sequence of images that I'd like to convert into a video. This is usually a bunch of screenshots of me programming made into a timelapse video for the finished product but more recently I've been exploring the "Mandelverse" (aka 3D fractals) and have been making timelapses of my explorations in preparation of rendering frames of an image that I then also need to convert into a video with ffmpeg.

Here are some examples of the videos I've madeTimelapse of me making a game for LD31:

Timelapse of me exploring the Mandelverse:

3D Fractal animation (composed of many individually rendered frames)

* All my timelapses on YouTube
* All my Mandelbulb3D animations on YouTube

I use a tool called Chronolapse to take the screenshots for my timelapses, and it has a feature to convert the screenshots into a video, but Chronolapse hasn't been updated in years so they're very low quality videos with outdated codecs and lots of compression artifacts.

I searched and found ffmpeg which has a fairly simple commandline arguments to convert the images to a high quality video. But I can never remember all the arguments and have to resort to my notes each time I want to make a video.

What I would like is a nice, simple little GUI that had these options preset for me, would remember what I last set them to, but also allow me to easily customize them. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are my notes I refer to:

From: http://notes.theorbis.net/2010/05/creating-time-lapse-with-ffmpeg.html

First rename all files so they are ordered consecutively. I named them all ss######.png using XnViewMP.
Then use ffmpeg to turn them into a video with the following command:

ffmpeg -r 60 -i ss%06d.png -s 1920x1200 -vcodec libx264 ld29.mp4

[The "ss%06d" means each filename starts with "ss" followed by 6 digits, so ss000001.png through (up to) ss999999.png]

So the command is like so:

ffmpeg -r [framerate] -i [images] -s [resolution] -vcodec libx264 [videofilename].mp4

--- End quote ---

What I want the program to do:

I would like the app to allow me to customize the following values:

* the path to ffmpeg (with file browser would be nice)
* the framerate
* the filename pattern for the images
* resolution (maybe this can just be taken/grabbed from the size of the images?)
* output video filename (with output path--file browser here would be nice as well)
Basically everything above that is in square brackets, plus the path to ffmpeg. As I said before, I'd like it to remember my settings from the last time I ran it, since I'm unlikely to change the path to ffmpeg.

It seems fairly simple to me in theory, but maybe it's more work than I would think.

Optional bonus features:

Another bonus nice thing to have (but not necessary) would be to let me browse for the images, and have it automatically figure out the pattern based on one of the images in the sequence. So for instance, if I navigate to "someImage12345678.png" it will automatically figure out the pattern and set it as "someImage%08d.png" for me. But again, that's just a nicety. All I really need is some sort of example to remind me of the format, either as a tooltip or inline.

Yet an additional bonus feature would be a wizard to batch rename files so they are numbered consecutively. When rendering frames for the animation, the frames are already named appropriately, but when capturing screenshots for the timelapses, the images are named with the timestamp. The timestamp is of course chronologically ordered, but the format is something like "Capture_2015-01-12_13-06-28.png" which isn't quite as useful as "someImage00005.png" would be. If it could count the number of images in a directory, or let me select all the images, then automatically batch rename them with enough leading zeroes, and then when finished automatically fill the "filename pattern" entry box, that would be wonderful. But again, not needed.

Thanks in advance!

4wd:
Chronolapse appears to be written in Python - maybe someone here can checkout the source and add the extra video formats supported by a newer version of mencoder?

ewemoa:
May be a plugin to SC wouldn't be too hard either :)

Target:
not video, but I've used Wink for similar things in the past...

4wd:
There's also the old VirtualDub.

Drop the first image on its window and it will load all the others in sequence (as long as they're the same dimensions), then if you go File->Save as AVI you'll end up with a RAW AVI at the default 10fps, (you can change it under Video->Frame rate - which you can convert to any other format required using a video converter.

You can resize the output using a resize filter under Video->Filters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version