topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Donating to EFF  (Read 16928 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Donating to EFF
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 01:04 PM »
How do you know they didn't get those stamps donated to them so they could do this for people?

The stamp is not an actual stamp, but an imprint stating the price as well.

Yes, but how do you know those costs are not being covered by a Third Party?

Common things occur commonly, uncommon things do not. When you hear hoofbeats, don't think of zebras.

Now that has got to be one of my absolute favorite posts. :Thmbsup:

I have absolutely no idea what it means. But I love it! ;D

P.S. Sould I hear hoofbeats...I'm most likely hallucinating. (I live in the suburbs y'see.)  ;) :P

I got it right away.  Roughly analogous to "If it quacks like a duck...".
Nice one eleman, I'm going to have to steal it one day.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:00 PM by Edvard »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re:Horses and Zebras
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 02:08 PM »
It was indeed a truly brilliant response - that sounds oddly familiar. So either I've heard it before...or it just made perfect sense to me initially. Which - since no one else seems to have understood it - could be a very bad sign for both myself and eleman.. :-\

I feel "reverse confused", why this is apparently so hard.

To me, it's just Occam's Razor. Simplest Explanations First, and all that. Hoofbeats - eliminate the possibility of both horses AND zebras, before you discover someone is parading a camel to make a YouTube video! Or a Monty Python re-enactment! (Everything is possible in pursuit of a viral video!)

8)

A couple of TV shows are fundamentally built on the "zebra" premise. House from the show even stated it point blank in an episode or two - I can't quite recall but he almost used the same language even! Something like "you see, I don't get the ordinary cases (except when Cuddy is being a bitch and making me do clinic duty.) So by the time it gets to me, the hoofbeats *aren't* horses because the other three doctors would have looked for that. So *our* intelligent place to start is with the zebras first."

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 01:15 PM »
Seven.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 01:45 PM »
I'm not sure if that, that that, that that, that that referred back to was that that I understood it to be.

But enough of that. ;)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 09:56 AM »
@40Hz:
In the Netherlands it was relatively easy to get such a device for an organization. Because there you had to pay upfront for the expected postal mail. Those also came with a counter that counted back and even weighed the envelope/letter. At least the one in the army base where I was working at the time did. Although we often bypassed that part to speed up the process. Pre-sorting on weight by hand (literally) was much faster (we had to handle all military/civilian postal needs for 4 army bases and 15 auxiliary units).   

Also, you'd better not exceed the agreed upon limits, or use the wrong frank with the weight of an envelope/letter. Those 'civies' would become quite hostile if we did...forgetting who they were talking to (army, having weapons and all :P). Then again, the Dutch and German postal services are/were very efficient and fast. Standard postage mail would even arrive after 1 day, although that qualified to be delivered in 3 days. Even standard postage mail sent to any country in Europe or US/Canada would arrive within a day, sometimes 2 at the intended location. Northern Africa (Tunesia, Marocco) and Turkey were quite efficient as well. Other continents or parts thereof...not so much in my experience.

Here in Paraguay (South America) international mail may arrive quite fast at the national postal services, although that is not a given. Doesn't even matter if the sender paid for high priority postage or not. Also, this doesn't mean that the mail will arrive at the intended destination any soon either. Unfortunately, the rule of 3 applies here. Don't expect any mail to arrive within 3 days. More realistic is 3 weeks or 3 months. After that...consider it lost. National mail is also problematic, bills arriving on the final day that they can be paid is quite common. Automatic payment facilities, web or otherwise, do not exist here. It is quite easy to get disconnected not of your own fault.

In all the time I have been here, I don't think I have ever seen national mail being sent without stamps. Utility bills don't even have stamps at all. So I'll assume there are no such frank systems here.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 10:48 AM »
In the Netherlands it was relatively easy to get such a device for an organization.

Same here. Anybody - or any organization - can get a "postage meter" as they're called here. And as long as you're paying the full postage rate, you're all set. What is less easy to get is a mail "permit" that gets you special postage rates. The most common is "bulk mail" or "pre-sorted" (i.e. junkmail) as they call it nowadays. In exchange for complying with a bunch of somewhat complex rules plus doing some of the post office's sorting work, you get substantial discounts over the usual first class single item rate.

Non-profit permits are trickier. You first need to obtain formal recognition of your "tax-exempt" or 501(c)(3) status from the IRS. That's not an easy thing to do these days. The IRS has gotten very tough about who and what qualifies since NPOs get favorable tax treatment. After that you need to apply for the non-profit mailing permit.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Well, this is related:

• Starting January 27th, you can transfer your .com, .net, .biz, .org or .info domain to Namecheap for only $3.98 (plus $0.18 ICANN fee where applicable), using coupon code NC15MYDD
  • When you transfer, they'll add another year to your domain free. Any shared hosting package (Value, Professional or Ultimate) will be 50% off when you use coupon code MYDDHOST15
  • For every domain transferred or hosting plan purchased, up to 10,000, Namecheap will donate $0.50 to EFF. The donation amount goes up to $1.00 per domain/hosting plan if they exceed 10,000. And if they exceed 20,000 domains transferred/hosting plans purchased, Namecheap will donate $1.50 for each product purchased.