topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Expanded role for Anonymous - Now more like The Watchman than V?  (Read 8602 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Saw this in an article by Alan Buckingham on BetaNews. Apparently Anonymous is expanding it's range of target baddies to include non-government and non-corporate SOBs. Most interesting if so. Especially since it drastically ups the stakes (and physical risks) for Anonymous if it becomes their new charter. More here.

From BetaNews:

...Things began just over a week ago when the group [Anonymous] declared war on Lizard Squad, a rival gang, if you will. That loosely run outfit had claimed responsibility for the takedown of Christmas for many people. In other words, it attacked the networks of both Sony Playstation and Microsoft Xbox on the day everyone was getting a new console. A cowardly act that they claimed was done just for fun.

The fun is over, as the group did a poor job of disguising members' identities and several are now in the hands of authorities. Worse for them, Anonymous declared war, which is the last thing anyone wishes to have happen to them.

Now Anonymous is setting its eyes, and considerable technological firepower, on Jihadist groups, looking to retaliate for the recent tragedy that took place in Paris, France...

ror.jpg

Yeah. This could get interesting. Real interesting... 8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Expanded role for Anonymous - Now more like The Watchman than V?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Sounds more like the Guns from Black Summer by Ellis.  Which is a little more frightening.

Very good comic, BTW...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Very good comic, BTW...

Never heard of it. Have now. Will have to check it out. Thx! :) :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Sounds more like the Guns from Black Summer by Ellis.  Which is a little more frightening.

Very good comic, BTW...
Thanks!  Will be added to my list.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:01 PM »
Saw this in an article by Alan Buckingham on BetaNews. Apparently Anonymous is expanding it's range of target baddies to include non-government and non-corporate SOBs. Most interesting if so. Especially since it drastically ups the stakes (and physical risks) for Anonymous if it becomes their new charter. More here.

From BetaNews:

...Things began just over a week ago when the group [Anonymous] declared war on Lizard Squad, a rival gang, if you will. That loosely run outfit had claimed responsibility for the takedown of Christmas for many people. In other words, it attacked the networks of both Sony Playstation and Microsoft Xbox on the day everyone was getting a new console. A cowardly act that they claimed was done just for fun.

The fun is over, as the group did a poor job of disguising members' identities and several are now in the hands of authorities. Worse for them, Anonymous declared war, which is the last thing anyone wishes to have happen to them.

Now Anonymous is setting its eyes, and considerable technological firepower, on Jihadist groups, looking to retaliate for the recent tragedy that took place in Paris, France...
(see attachment in previous post)
Yeah. This could get interesting. Real interesting... 8)

If I didn't know better, I'd say this is a guerrilla TV show like a next generation Truman Show, with a little Flannery O'Connor sprinkled on top. "Everything that rises must converge".

So the Agencies (from X countries!) are not going to let "them" just randomly decide to do whatever they want. "We as cowed citizens" have to assume a "basic innocence" for Anonymous, that it isn't itself all a fake front to keep stirring up the martial state culture.

It's just tension building like a 24 episode TV show with 8 scripts written and the writers discovered they backed themselves into a continuity disaster and don't know how to get the season successfully over without a "cheapo" near the end. (Super rough timeline - about two months realtime "per episode"?)

(That's what I'm learning about tv writing as I've watched a lot this year, they carefully drip little "reveals" and can't just dump the whole thing, which has to wait for a season/series finale.)

So we have Anonymous "just doing things", but it's like a Filler episode setting out a new story arc. I just don't know (and I'm a bit nervous of!) the leadup to the season finale!

:o

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Got my popcorn. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:51 PM »

You know that popcorn is GMO, and contains secret messages! You're a courier for anonymous!
:D   ;D

Damn. Conspiracy parody humor is even more fun than the things themselves! It's like Nathan Poe made his law while time traveling to talk to Edgar Allen Poe!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 06:29 PM »

You know that popcorn is GMO, and contains secret messages! You're a courier for anonymous!
:D   ;D

Damn. Conspiracy parody humor is even more fun than the things themselves! It's like Nathan Poe made his law while time traveling to talk to Edgar Allen Poe!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe

Heh! Absolutely!

Sometimes it's hard to really go over the top so as not to trigger Poe's law. There are a truckload of people that really are serious about some really wonky things. Hollow Earth? It makes for good fun. There are a lot of very real things in history that are wonky beyond belief though, and trying to drag up some simple facts on some topics will freak people out -- invariably they think you're just a nutcase because they're unfamiliar with much history. e.g. USS Maine (and here), Tuskegee, Operation Northwoods, Gladio B, Gary Webb, etc. Just a few years ago if you said that governments were spying on people, you'd be called a nutcase.

Just wait until people find out about GMO Epicyte corn. ;)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:37 PM »
But who watches the watchmen? :o

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:31 PM »

I've watched it several times. The director's cut, in particular, is quite good. Not on the same level as the comics, but good nonetheless.  :P
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 07:20 AM »

I've watched it several times. The director's cut, in particular, is quite good. Not on the same level as the comics, but good nonetheless.  :P

Agree! Especially about the director's cut. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 08:46 AM »
And for those that might be on the fence about Black Summer- a (minor) spoiler.

Spoiler
black-summer.jpg
black-summer-1.jpg
BlackSummerDetail.jpg

And that's how it starts.