ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: In-place upgrade of Mint 17.0 Qiana to Mint 17.1 Rebecca

(1/8) > >>

40hz:
I generally am not too crazy about upgrading one version of Linux (or any other operating system) to another. I'm of the old-school "clean install" mindset when it comes to that. However, since I was facing an upgrade on a heavily tweaked and customized Mint 17.0 Cinnamon installation, I decided to try Mint's official way to go from that to 17.1 since I had already resolved to do it anyway. "Nothing ventured..." and all that, right?

Well...that was two days ago. And I'm happy to report that in this instance, it all went as smooth as butterscotch with absolutely no (as in zero) bad surprises during or afterwards. The entire process took approximately 10 minutes - and everything just worked. And the upgrade procedure itself was handled entirely within Mint's own Update Manager. Now how logical is that?

To do this upgrade requires only a few simple steps.

The first step is to run the Update Manager and hit refresh to see if mintupdate itself needs updating. If it does - do it. Then hit the refresh button again to make sure it was done.

Once that's completed (if needed), go to the Edit drop-down in the menu bar and select Upgrade to Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca

That's pretty much it. After a few confirmations, Update Manager will download, install, and configure  all requisite software. It will then prompt you to reboot (one of the very few times you'll ever be asked to do that in Linux btw) your machine. When it comes back up, you'll have a spankin' new 'Rebecca' machine.

Doesn't get much easier than that. Hope this is the shape of things to come for Mint's workstation upgrades going forward.

More detailed instructions (with pretty pictures) can be found here.

8)

superboyac:
Nice!  IS Linux becoming set it and forget it??  Good news for the upcoming dystopian future.

40hz:
Maybe not quite set & forget. Not yet anyway. But in Mint's case, this was a happy compromise between the usual "fresh" install hassle and the occasionally dicey "rolling update" approach.

Now let's see them do it three more times just so we know it's not luck. ;D

Deozaan:
I'm a bit disappointed that the upgrade is hidden in the Edit drop-down menu. But other than that, this is great news that it really does work as easily as it should. :)

(I'm still waiting for 17.1 Xfce)

ewemoa:
Sounds nice for sure :)  Hoping the success continues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version