Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 12:29:21 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any other languages people want sections for?  (Read 21013 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 11, 2006, 06:44:27 AM »

any other languages you'd like to see programming school sections for?
matlab maybe?
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:10:24 AM »

matlab, aaarrrgh. nightmares of being back at university... hanged
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 07:13:04 AM »

matlab, aaarrrgh. nightmares of being back at university... hanged
Grin I can understand you, recently i've been fidling with mathematica  thumb down

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 09:14:32 AM »

Ah matlab is a nice language, problem is though thats its almost exclusively academically orientated so your more likely to find people who just want to be shown how to do their homework exercises rather than learn the language.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Rover
Master of Smilies
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:41:17 PM »

Where is our old friend Pascal?  I can't believe you ever started this site without it!!!!   tongue

Insert Brilliant Sig line here
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 02:07:32 AM »

well delphi uses object pascal at its core - it's the lone survivor of the pascal vs. c wars  Wink
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:38:31 AM »

There are lots of free Pascal compilers out there ...

Actually as an introduction to programming for beginners you can't really beat the original Pascal - it is a friendly way to get introduced to all the structures used in almost all other languages. In fact that is why Pascal was originally designed - it was a university teaching tool. Not sure but I think you can still download Borland Turbo Pascal for free from the Borland archive site (you can certainly get TC and TASM).

mbecerra
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »

How about Liberty BASIC, its free and i could do some easy assignments for it.
jazper
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »

well delphi uses object pascal at its core - it's the lone survivor of the pascal vs. c wars  Wink

Don't forget "Chrome"(Object Pascal) by RemObjects, this is a very sweet language for .NET

Rover
Master of Smilies
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

Interesting that Pascal went from #21 to #16 in this year's language rankings:  Programming Community Index

I'm a pascal fan and I'm shocked....

Interesting article re: learning languages is An Introduction to Programming Languages

re: new languages for the school, what about:   D - The Programming Language
D is a systems programming language. Its focus is on combining the power and high performance of C and C++ with the programmer productivity of modern languages like Ruby and Python. Special attention is given to the needs of quality assurance, documentation, management, portability and reliability.

and/or  Scala
If you have to choose only one new language for the time being then my recommendation is Scala. Scala is very accessible to programmers from different backgrounds. Scala provides access to type inference and advanced techniques used in languages like Haskell, but still supports common Java idioms and dynamic programming.
-- Source: Dr. Dobbs Code Talk

Insert Brilliant Sig line here
ak_
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »

Maybe an AutoIt section would be nice. I'd like to switch from AHK to AutoIt because the syntax seems better to me, but i've been quite lazy. Maybe chatting about it with other people here would help.

thunder7
Supporting Member

Thunder7

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 07:46:42 AM »

Which languages is the easiest to learn and build projects with?
And how much does a languages cost??, I dirt poor!.

Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 02:27:18 AM »

Lots of free languages out there thunder7.

Borland do free versions of Turbo Delphi and Turbo C++.

Microsoft do free versions of all of their languages (Visual Basic, Visual C++ etc) - they are called Express Editions. You can download the installation discs from the website (do a search for Visual Studio Express).

There are lots of 'scripting' languages that are free too such as AutoHotKey (a favourite in these forums).

Which is best - you really need to say what you are trying to do first because that can affect the choice of language.

thunder7
Supporting Member

Thunder7

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »

AutoHotKey I tried for macros. I really got lost. Cry

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 05:19:15 AM »

I have an idea for the programming school...

How about batch file programming? (complete with coding menus & stuff)

If google searches are any indicator, it seems to be a hot one lately with all the hits I am getting for free books on it, on my ebook site.

alivingspirit
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »

I know its not a language but what about a section for QT4?
I'll probably learn it allot faster with a goal.
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »

2nd for D and free Pascal.

Ehtyar.
mnemonic
Supporting Member

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »

One of Peter Norvig's recommendation's for languages to learn is Scheme - how about a programming school for this?

http://norvig.com/21-days.html
alivingspirit
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »

Maybe a section for learning Batch.
CarlGundel
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »

Consider a web programming section using Run BASIC.  Which is a great way to learn BASIC and web development at the same time.  http://www.runbasic.com
SleepingWolf
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »

How about Lazarus at http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/ which is a free open-source (I think) Delphi-type RAD style development suite with freepascal as its command-line heart. Or something like that. Sounds wonderful and I've been meaning to give it a go for yonks.

-------------------------------------------

Choose life -or at least respect it.
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 03:30:37 AM »

OCaml ? Really. As fast as C++. OO and functional paradigms supported. Debugger that goes back in time. "Batteries included" edition". It's on my radar.

Scala looks good too.
SleepingWolf
Supporting Member

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »

Maybe an AutoIt section would be nice. I'd like to switch from AHK to AutoIt because the syntax seems better to me, but i've been quite lazy. Maybe chatting about it with other people here would help.

I second that. I like Autohotkey but really... two different syntaxes and overlapping functions. Confusing at times but so useful. Love ... hate  ... love ... hate ...

So howsabout AutoIt. Oh go on, you know you want to...

-------------------------------------------

Choose life -or at least respect it.
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »

Which languages is the easiest to learn and build projects with?
And how much does a languages cost??, I dirt poor!.

Rexx is easy to learn and free.  The syntax is similar to AutoIt but it's on a lot of platforms.

http://www.rexxla.org/rexxlang/

edit: well, now that I look at it again, it doesn't really look like AutoIt.  But, it is easy.. trust me!  smiley

And you can't beat the price. smiley

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:23:45 PM by MilesAhead » Logged

"I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty."
- Groucho Marx
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 03:35:45 AM »

How about PowerShell?  I know Microsoft has some good tutorial about it, but I still think it might be a good one to round out the school.  I also throw a vote toward batch, even though PowerShell *should* make that less relevant as it becomes more accepted.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.062s | Server load: 0.02 ]