topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mint 17.1 KDE rc delete trash icon desktop?  (Read 8845 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mint 17.1 KDE rc delete trash icon desktop?
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:48 AM »
I seems if one adds a Widget to the desktop by dragging it onto the desktop with the mouse, clicking the 'x' on the overlay square deletes/removes it.  However, it appears that if you add the widget by double clicking, you are stuck with it forever.  I haven't found any solutions on the web.

Has anyone run into this?  I've been banging my head against the wall for several hours just to delete this thing.  What makes it even more sticky, if I add a file to the desktop it goes right to the upper left corner where the trash icon is.  I cannot move or delete either.  All I can do is use the dolphin file manager to put the file in the trash.

A real time waster.  :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Solved: Mint 17.1 KDE rc delete trash icon desktop?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:58 PM »
OK.  I finally found the answers on the web.  It turns out that hovering the mouse gives a little menu thing with icons.  When I clicked the 'x' to remove the Trash icon, it seemed like it didn't work.  But watching it more closely it was taking off a layer.  Double clicking must have put a couple dozen icons overlapped.  So I hovered and clicked the 'x' a whole bunch of times.

The trick to moving the icon I read on the web, and I can't believe it, is hover the mouse, that stupid tool menu shadow appears, drag the empty space on that menu to move the icon.  I can't believe I wasted 4 hours on this.  I guess that's one big reason people try Linux and give up.   :mad:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mint 17.1 KDE rc delete trash icon desktop?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I guess that's one big reason people try Linux and give up.   :mad:

Or at least give up on KDE for their primary desktop? ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:58 PM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:11 AM »

:)  I guess it is quirky.  But at least for now I'm in quest of eye candy.  I've got to get back to the desktop so I can install on the metal.  One day.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 08:57 AM »

:)  I guess it is quirky.  But at least for now I'm in quest of eye candy.

belgravia-sherlock-and-irene-bbc-28103911-624-352.png

Maybe you should consider questing for Lara Pulver instead? There's some quirky eye-candy for you! And you wouldn't even need a computer. ;) ;D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 09:05 AM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:42 AM »
^ I watched True Blood for a few seasons.  It was funny for a while.  The eye candy that seems almost impossible to find is a good copy of Candy.  It was funny at the time it came out.  Not to mention Ringo Starr had a unique technique for masse shots.  :)

Marlon Brando was thin back then.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 10:33 AM »
^The eye candy that seems almost impossible to find is a good copy of Candy.  It was funny at the time it came out.  Not to mention Ringo Starr had a unique technique for masse shots.  :)

Marlon Brando was thin back then.  :)

candy.jpg

Candy? Oh good lord! I went to see that with friends at a drive-in! (Remember those?) One of the most enjoyable pieces of absolute cinematic crap ever made. Right up there with The Magic Christian AFAIC.

I still remember the infamous bubble-bath scene ("Let's do rub-a-dub-dub!") with the police sargent telling his team, who was about to raid their party: "We're going in. Prepare to beat faces to a pulp!" (Hmm...maybe that particular line isn't so funny these days?)

Or the surreal "It's Daddy!" and "walking up the hill with Tibetan prayer flags" ending sequence.

Shades of Tim Leary there! Good ol' Tim:

tl.jpg

Ok Miles. If I can ever score a decent quality (and legal) copy, I'll get one for you too. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:00 AM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 05:23 PM »
^ After that flick wikipedia should have Ewa Aulin's picture for the definition of ingenue.

One thing I got a kick out of, though very simple, was the sight gag where Brando appears to be levitating in the Lotus position. He jumps up and we see the plastic seat extending from the wall.  Great stuff. And Burton was wonderful as the Pompous Poet(tm).  :)

I think I saw it at the drive-in myself.  A good way to get in the proper mental frame of reference without being hassled in those days.  ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03 PM »
^ After that flick wikipedia should have Ewa Aulin's picture for the definition of ingenue.

I agree completely. Lovely creature. And I'm not very big on baby-faces or blonde, so that's saying something coming from me.

I think I saw it at the drive-in myself.  A good way to get in the proper mental frame of reference without being hassled in those days.  ;)

That plus they weren't all that gung-ho to checking your age for that newfangled "Mature Audiences" designation that pre-dated the G/PG/R/X ratings, which preceded the G/PG/PG-13/R/NC-17 ratings we have today. As long as everybody pretty much looked the same age as the driver (or older) - and you weren't too obviously under the influence - they waved you through the gate.

Sometimes the best entertainment was provided by the audience rather than the movie being shown.

Old joke

Employment ad for a drive-in:

Help wanted: Lot Attendant - Part Time. Responsible person needed to go around to parked cars and notify people that picture is over. Pay: $2 per show - plus all you can see.)

The drive-in subculture was an certainly interesting sociological study while it lasted.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 05:16 AM »
Sometimes the best entertainment was provided by the audience rather than the movie being shown.
-40hz

I envied the guys who had the vans with the window curtains and other appropriate furnishings.  The closest I got to that was a Toyota with bucket seats.  One pull on the lever and the passenger seat reclined.  That feature was a bit unusual then.  The surprise factor usually got a good laugh.  A great ice breaker.  ;)