ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

For better security, maybe it's time to abandon e-mail?

<< < (9/10) > >>

Innuendo:
My great grandfather felt the same way about telephones. Why would anybody in their right mind want to talk into a piece of unsanitary plastic when they could just send someone a nicely written letter through a perfectly good postal system for one one-hundredth the cost?-40hz (December 24, 2014, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Again, 40hz, it's the path of least resistance. Why sit down, compose your thoughts, put them to paper, find an envelope, purchase postage, and drop it in a mailbox to await days (weeks?) for a reply when you can just pick up a piece of plastic and have instant gratification?

People want what they want straight away and want to put forth the least amount of effort to achieve that goal.

40hz:
People want what they want straight away and want to put forth the least amount of effort to achieve that goal.
-Innuendo (December 24, 2014, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that’s universally true. For a lot of people, the journey itself is the reward rather than the destination. And many people would rather "do it right" than merely "do it right now."

My experience is that most non-technical people simply use what's available. Not something they actually like - or think is good.

40hz:
One offering that is attempting to shake up the whole team communication/sharing formula is something called Slack. Their security policy is a good first step in the right direction for this sort of endeavor.

Slack isn't the complete solution by any stretch. But I think it is something to look at, think about, and possibly learn and borrow from.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

Innuendo:
I'm not sure that’s universally true. For a lot of people, the journey itself is the reward rather than the destination. And many people would rather "do it right" than merely "do it right now."-40hz (December 24, 2014, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, of course that's not universally true. I did qualify my statements at the beginning by saying 'generally speaking'. There are always people that rise to the top, but there are always people who sink to the bottom as well.  ;)

40hz:
I'm not sure that’s universally true. For a lot of people, the journey itself is the reward rather than the destination. And many people would rather "do it right" than merely "do it right now."-40hz (December 24, 2014, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, of course that's not universally true. I did qualify my statements at the beginning by saying 'generally speaking'. There are always people that rise to the top, but there are always people who sink to the bottom as well.  ;)

-Innuendo (December 27, 2014, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understood. But if things get bogged down too much in an orgy of mocking and blaming the endusers, it becomes a distraction from what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps there's ultimately nothing to be done because of user behavior. (Which I disagree with btw.) But I'd prefer to empirically determine that's the case rather than accept it as a given. There's a little too much smug and self-serving assumption in doing that for either my taste or experience.

Behavioral psychologist B.F. Skinner made an interesting point in his novel Walden Two. When the lead character Frazier was asked what did the community planned on doing to deal with members who didn't embrace the community's ideals or plan he replied: What do you do with a mare that you can't socialize? Let her run until she drops. In the meantime, lets see what we can do with her lovely little colt. That (IMO) was the only truly profound insight to be found in Skinner's otherwise highly flawed concept for a community.

You'll always have some (or more) who don't want to know - or learn. But they seldom constitute the majority of your target demographic. And I don't think they do here. Besides, we're not looking for the 'perfect solution' that will handle all eventualities. We're only looking for something else that's significantly better than what we have, and how we're doing it now.

That's not an impossible goal. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version