ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

For better security, maybe it's time to abandon e-mail?

<< < (3/10) > >>

cyberdiva:
Thanks, wraith.  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  :up:

40hz:
I don't care for chat either. It's easier to just pick up a phone AFAIC. I'm not afraid to actually talk to a live person. (My age must be showing. ;))

But in this scenario, I think "chat" is more a metaphor for the system-wide changes needed rather than an actual endorsement for chat technology.

Had e-mail been left using text, it wouldn't be much of an issue. But once it was web and script enabled "for your convenience and greater productivity" it became a ticking bomb. And a great target of opportunity since the underlying protocols were (as noted earlier) never designed to be secure - nor intended to be used in situation where security was a consideration. Apparently most people, businesses, and government agencies didn't get copied on that memo. And when you add in how sloppily coded most e-mail apps were coded, it was only a matter of time. Especially when they're capable of calling all these nifty black-box APIs and services that let them do more than just allow you to compose, edit, send, and read messages.

When you go Rube Goldberg, you get Rube Goldberg.

The important takeaway is that you need a decentralized message transport mechanism that has strong encryption and security coded in from the get go. That an an intrinsically more secure and better engineered protocol for it to run on top of. SMTP and POP ain't it. And IMAP is a central server approach that isn't any better when it comes to security concerns.

It's not so much we need to abandon e-mail. It's more that it's time we realize what we call e-mail is a lot more than just text messages. And it's time to get serious about it instead of limping along with an outdated and half-assed solution that is making more and more problems for all of us.

Again, this is just my :two:

(Add in that penny for your thoughts and we'll have a shiny nickle! ;D)

rgdot:
most secureJust don't communicate with anybody  ;)

40hz:
@rg - LOL! That would certainly work for me. ;D ;D

Half the time I get into a 'discussion' these days I feel like I'm a character in this comic strip:

wraith808:
@40 - to respond to both of yours in a cheeky manner...

But... chat clients aren't text only anymore either.  So don't they have the same ticking bomb?

;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version