ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Et tu, Sourceforge?

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
If a developer wants to "bundle" his apps with other tools that are "OPT-IN", so that they will not install by default by a distracted user,
-mouser (December 21, 2014, 03:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does anyone actually use opt-in? I don't think I've ever seen anything other than opt-out. I'm more concerned about the cases where you opt out of everythng, and in spite of that, you find something has taken over the home page, search engine of every installed web browser.
-daddydave (December 21, 2014, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

By default, OC was opt-in.  There were tools for developers to change it to opt-out, which I disagreed with.  Not sure about the state now.

And also a point- is it sourceforge?  Or is it the developer?

40hz:
^AFAIK Sourceforge is promoting it - but (at least for now) it's up to the developers whether or not to participate.

daddydave:
Relevant NANY 2015 project

That would be awesome

daddydave:
MBAM seems to detect these "PUPs" before them being installed, and then quarantines them.
-IainB (December 20, 2014, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

You know, I need a good kick to go ahead and get the premium version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and that may be it.

Side note: Is it just me or does the recent MalwareBytes UI makeover make it look like fake anti-malware? It's bad enough that I have to explain to people that it is very legitimate in spite of having the name MalwareBytes! I guess it's fake anti-malware's fault for being so slick-looking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version