ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Abbyy screenshot reader

(1/5) > >>

Steven Avery:
Abby Screenshot Reader
http://www.abbyy.com/bonussr/

(Added 1/6/2015 this might be the best url:
http://www.abbyy.com/screenshot_reader_bonus/ )

And I don't see any catch. I bought this years ago for one user for $10. Now it is about $30.
Apparently the registration is now checking that it is one PC (just happened today first time.)

An incredible program if you need text extracts on-the-fly from google books and stuff like that.
(Any good alternatives?)

Note the Business Card reader too.

Steven

IainB:
They had Abbyy Screenshot Reader as a Christmas giveaway a while back, and it was very good value ($FREE).
I already  had a newer version of it as part of the bundled software that came with my EPSON Perfection V330 Photo Scanner in 2011.
I recall that Abbyy disabled (couldn't support) the thing at some point because it was not compatible with Win7 or something. Didn't bother me anyway, as I was already using OneNote by that stage, which has OCR integrated and a much better OCR clipping function in Send to OneNote.

Refer, for example:
free ABBYY Screenshot Reader
ABBYY Screenshot Reader free Christmas promotion.

Though the Abbyy Screenshot Reader was great, I never could really see the need for the business card reader - it seemed a bit archaic, to  me, business cards being kinda passé. However, I guess it could help to get rid of all those accumulated business cards we used to have, if they were not already thrown away, that is.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

I may try OneNote as an additional method.  It says Windows 7 and 8. Also free (is that new?).

Wonder if it has a version running on XP.

On the PC XP where it had the new message, something like "license already in use PC-ABC" (another nearby Win7 puter ... this happened after an image and then Abbyy reinstall on the XP) I tried an uninstall and then new install of the December special.  Same type of message. May write them.  Possibly the serial # is kept on disk, or some footprint, or something. And then cloud referenced. Maybe they go by name (easy enough to check that.)

Correction: that may have been a different download.  The one I want should come from an email.  My bad. I think that was the trial that gave the message.  It still should not have happened.
Will report back later.

Either way .. note that Abbyy has a one license, one puter, possible enforcement.

Steven

tomos:
I may try OneNote as an additional method.  It says Windows 7 and 8. Also free (is that new?).
-Steven Avery (December 20, 2014, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

there's a couple of threads here about that which are worth reading if you're thinking of using the free version
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=search2;search=onenote+free

IainB:
...Either way .. note that Abbyy has a one license, one puter, possible enforcement. ...
-Steven Avery (December 20, 2014, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
The previous FREE ABBY Screenshot Reader "RETAIL" (Christmas giveaway) also installed a licence server Service (you cannot seem to run the ABBY software without having that service running). One more overhead.
Presumably this is probably still the case with the latest Christmas giveaway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version