topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for Kubuntu Plasma 5.1 that works with VMWare Player  (Read 11944 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for Kubuntu Plasma 5.1 that works with VMWare Player
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:52 AM »
I've been trying to check out KDE 5.1 Plasma but so far the live CD images won't install in VMWare Player.  I can play them but the included theme has no transparency as far as I can see(pun acknowledged.)  Since I can't install I can't download themes and use them etc..

I tried going the Ubuntu 14.10 route and got one to install, but it gives video errors on startup.  I have to boot to the default window manager, get the error, then switch to the Plasma.  If I boot directly to the plasma I get black screen or scrambled eggs.  Just not worth the effort.

Right now I don't have an expendable machine to try installing on the metal.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Kubuntu Plasma 5.1 that works with VMWare Player
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:18 AM »
Do any of these Known Problems/Known Plasma 5 Problems seem to fit your issue?

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.10

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Do any of these Known Problems/Known Plasma 5 Problems seem to fit your issue?

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.10

What happens on the install is that the partitioning program reports an error.  It can't partition the virtual drive.  Ubuntu got the same error but installed after I hit Ignore.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 05:20 PM »
If I boot directly to the plasma I get black screen or scrambled eggs.  Just not worth the effort.

I'm experiencing similar video errors when attempting to install Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma 4 or 5 in VirtualBox. I can't get it installed because the graphics are messed up. :-/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 06:07 AM »
If I boot directly to the plasma I get black screen or scrambled eggs.  Just not worth the effort.

I'm experiencing similar video errors when attempting to install Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma 4 or 5 in VirtualBox. I can't get it installed because the graphics are messed up. :-/

I even tried the Kubuntu Plasma 5.1 nightly 386 build.  It comes up to 800x600 screen with no resolution settings in the Monitor settings.  Strange.  I guess I'll have to try once a week until the VMs catch up.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Don't know how relevant, but FWIW:

https://forums.virtu...iewtopic.php?t=64313

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Thanks ewemoa. It seems the issue for me was as simple as disabling 3D acceleration. I can now boot into the LiveCD on VirtualBox without issue.

This is on the 14.10 Plasma5 edition.

Screenshot - 14-12-20, 07-42-50.pngLooking for Kubuntu Plasma 5.1 that works with VMWare Player

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Good to hear something worked out :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 11:17 AM »
Good to hear something worked out :)

I had a Mint 17 Mate VM.  I followed directions to install and build Plasma 5.1.  It seemed to do all the steps.  But I can find no way to switch the Window Manager.  The logon screen has no button to choose the WM.  I notice in the settings it has a check box to allow software composition themes.  That's the only hint of anything resembling Aero.  It's very frustrating.

I guess the next attempt would be to download Mint 17 KDE edition and try to update it if it installs OK.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 04:41 PM »
I saw instructions on Kubuntu's website to install Kubuntu Plasma 4 and then use apt-get (or something similar) to update to Plasma 5. Is that an option for you?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I saw instructions on Kubuntu's website to install Kubuntu Plasma 4 and then use apt-get (or something similar) to update to Plasma 5. Is that an option for you?

I added a VM using Mint 17 KDE x64.  It installed OK except for one glitch at the end.  It hung on the reboot.  But I just rebooted it using the VMWare Power control.  The install seems OK.  Now I just have to figure out how to update everything or maybe just wait for Mint 17.1 KDE release.

It adjusted to my Laptop's 1360 x 768 res without a problem.  I like it.  I have to struggle with routine tasks like making shortcuts to programs that show the program's icon.  I spent 2 hours installing Firefox 34 since it had 28.0 on.  (Most of the time spent messing with shortcuts and folder copy crap.)  But all that will come in time.  It seems to be quite stable so far.   :Thmbsup:

I downloaded some themes with Glass in the name but so far I haven't seen any real transparency.  But I think I could use this OS when it gets a stable Plasma and I install it on the metal.  There's no shortage of free programming tools.  That's for sure.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I have Mint 17.1 KDE x64 installed as VM now.  Installation was straightforward.  In fact I shrank the window and sufred using k-meleon while waiting.  I also managed to get the vmware tools installed.

I still don't see anything to match Vista or W7 composition yet.  But it does look nice

snapshot2.png
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:32 PM by MilesAhead »