ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Farewell, Dr. Dobbs

(1/2) > >>

xtabber:
After 38 years of glory, the long run of Dr. Dobb's has come to an end.

To be quite honest, I was hardly aware that it was still around.  Although I had been a subscriber since shortly after it began, and remained so for nearly as long as there was a print edition, I hadn't looked at it in many years.

Nonetheless, it marks the passing of an era.

mouser:
Dr.Dobbs was an amazing programmer's magazine in its prime - at the top of its class.

40hz:
Sad to see the first and finest purveyor of "computer callisthenics and orthodontia" ("Running light without overbyte!) finally quits the field. I still have some of my old issues carefully stowed away.

It's a whole new world.

phitsc:
I always found  Andrew Binstock's articles outstanding.

What I find interesting: I can still remember the shock when I held the last print edition of C++ user journal in my hands, and my subscription turned into a Dr. Dobb's print edition subscription. Then that ended as well. And now not even the online edition is sustainable (which, I must admit, I did not subscribe to). I could well imagine that this will happen to many other ad-based services in the not so distant future.

Tuxman:
Ah, Dr. Dobb's. While I - as a German - never actually got my hands on even one of those magazines, I surely know its reputation. A tragic loss for everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version