ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Every Episode Of Every 'Star Trek' Series Ever, Ranked

<< < (4/4)

TaoPhoenix:
 Voyager isn't my favorite either, but I never understood the hate it gets. ...

***Edited***
...the episode where they had (quite some) ship damage and they see a Borg cube flying at them...fast! And pass by them, without even paying attention...
Then 6 or so cubes are coming in, also fast. And again, Voyager is left alone.

Not long after they see a small ship (smaller than Voyager) that is chasing the cubes. ...

Granted, I watched Voyager longer, because of an "interesting" new crew member...
-Shades (December 16, 2014, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

If we alter your comments a bit, it provides a lot of the reasons. The Borg was THE signature mega enemy of TNG, that they spent about four seasons building up. It took everything the Federation had including traumatizing Picard for life, to ... just buy some time.

So then in one little writing stint, some random little ship *terrorizes* the Borg so badly they don't think they even have time for a nice little snack!

Then the ... "interesting" ... crew member was given an "interesting" outfit, (that almost made Jeri pass out a couple of times on set!) ... just to ... gain your eyeballs longer when you actually weren't impressed with the writing, as you just admitted.

Another example is that whole breaking the Warp 10 barrier. And one I didn't care for was that at the end they suddenly decided, again in some misc writing stroke, that warp travel is damaging space so badly that future ships are not allowed over certain limits.

Back in my Trek club in college, we all pointed the correlation to the rise of Brannon Braga.

MilesAhead:
Another example is that whole breaking the Warp 10 barrier.
-TaoPhoenix (December 19, 2014, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

In TOS what cracked me up was The Prime Directive.  I think they broke TPD on 90+% of the episodes.  I suspect Roddenberry was giving a little dig to America's foreign policy stricture of "self determination."

40hz:
Then the ... "interesting" ... crew member was given an "interesting" outfit, (that almost made Jeri pass out a couple of times on set!) ... just to ... gain your eyeballs longer when you actually weren't impressed with the writing, as you just admitted.
-TaoPhoenix (December 19, 2014, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Aha! :tellme: I always wondered why they eventually plunked Jeri into a Star Fleet uniform - even if that uniform, unlike those of the rest of the female cast, was oddly tailored to Barbie Doll specs. Apparently the Trek universe has evolved past Earth's PC phase by the time TNG boldy went...wherever to do...whatever.

My GF's reaction the first time she saw Seven of Nine was classic. After silently watching the entire episode, she looked at me and said "Huh! That's all real."  (Women apparently know these things.) I nodded and said so it seemed to me too. She reflected for a moment - and then said "Oh-KAY then!"

That was the sum total of her assessment of the woman and the costume. ;D
 ;)

MilesAhead:
Apparently the Trek universe has evolved past Earth's PC phase by the time TNG boldy went...wherever to do...whatever.
-40hz (December 19, 2014, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing that bummed me was when they toned down Troy's Uniform on TNG.  She was showing some nice cleavage(and enjoying it according to one of her interviews.)  That move seemed counter-productive in my estimation.  :)

40hz:
^ I'm not a Trekkie, nor really that big a fan of Roddenberry's universe. But I did go to a Trek convention once. It amazes me how deeply that show has shaped so many peoples lives. (Sometimes frighteningly so.) While there I got the chance to see a panel session with some of the TNG cast.

Marina Sirtis was funny and absolutely charming those few times I got to see and hear her then, as well as at various other scifi conventions. So was George Takei (a wonderful gentleman!) and Gates McFadden. (I always thought the writers did a particularly bad job with her character. The Dr. Crusher role had the potential to be so much more. Like Bones and Spock, she would have been the perfect verbal sparring partner for Worf. Instead, they cast her as a fairly neurotic pre-menopausal empty-nester who was about one month shy of being started on Prozac. Seriously guys...this was the best you could come up with for an elegant looking and rather classy female medical officer? No wonder they pay you the big bucks!)

BTW: If you ever do get a chance to hear Patrick Stewart, don't pass it up. He usually deserts the podium and speaks without a microphone. He's a Shakespearian actor so he knows how to project his voice so that it can be clearly heard in every corner of the room. And while not a physically large man, his stage presence is enormous. Patrick Stewart owns any room he speaks in. Not to be missed.

Trivia note: when asked, Sirtis said the one thing she always wanted to be given in the show was the opportunity to sit in the captain's chair and say Stewart's iconic line: "Engage!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version