topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Every Episode Of Every 'Star Trek' Series Ever, Ranked  (Read 15080 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Every Episode Of Every 'Star Trek' Series Ever, Ranked
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Nice list of all episodes of the tv show ranked and with short descriptions; great stuff for those looking to watch a few choice episodes.  Just reading the top picks at the end tells me this reviewer is worth paying attention to.

from http://boingboing.ne...f-every-star-tr.html

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Every Episode Of Every 'Star Trek' Series Ever, Ranked
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:49 PM »
Darmok is very very smart and I am glad it is in the top 5. Where Silence Has Lease has to be way higher than 300s

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:17 PM »
The hyperlink is not one I would follow....

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Playboy doesn't offer anything like what you are thinking for free  ;D

EDIT: I mean you are not likely to see adult things by going to that link

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:12 PM »
I guess I know what I'll be doing with my weekends, for awhile.  

Netflix + this list :-*

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 03:39 PM »
One critique -- I don't understand how so many voyager or Enterprise episodes infiltrated the better rankings.. IMHO they all belong in the lesser half of the ordering.. The only way I was able to watch that show was by pretending Janeway was mentally ill.  And Enterprise I could not even watch -- in fact until reading that list I had forgotten all about it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:29 PM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:59 PM »
IMHO it began to slip with Deep Space Nine. And I do my best to not think about Voyager or Enterprise.

But it was an interesting list. And I definitely agree with their #1 and most of the top 20.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Voyager isn't my favorite either, but I never understood the hate it gets. Then again, I grew up with TNG, so those episodes will always be my among my favorites. Deep Space Nine started out not that great, but I heard from others that did watch DS9 completely, its ending was very strong.

In Voyager I always did like the episode where they had (quite some) ship damage and they see a Borg cube flying at them...fast! And pass by them, without even paying attention...
Then 6 or so cubes are coming in, also fast. And again, Voyager is left alone.

Not long after they see a small ship (smaller than Voyager) that is chasing the cubes. Not sure anymore if Voyager escapes their attention the first time around or not. Anyway, that episode made a lasting impression with me at least.

Granted, I watched Voyager longer, because of an "interesting" new crew member...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12 PM »
DS9 was a completely different beast from the other shows because of the central role of long running story arcs.  As such, it requires more deliberate and in-sequence watching.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I really like Star Trek, but not enough to put together a competent list like that.

That being said, gotta love #6! :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:26 PM »
IMHO it began to slip with Deep Space Nine. And I do my best to not think about Voyager or Enterprise.

But it was an interesting list. And I definitely agree with their #1 and most of the top 20.

I just didn't get the concept of a Star Trek Space Station.  It could have been Russ Myer's Motel as it was just a Soap in space.

Enterprise I watched because it was in HD and I recently got HD service.  There wasn't all that much HD content on my cable then.  Well, that and Linda Park.  I apreciate she took one for the team and tried to boost ratings by showing some skin in an episode that featured her.  But it wasn't enough.  A bare back ain't enough to counteract a sanctimonious Scott Bakula.  Bakula should have played the ship's surgeon and left the lead for someone who could carry it off.

The main beef I have with Star Trek is that they are telling me in a technologically advanced future hundreds of years pass but there's only about 10 years worth of tech advancement.  Like all the Treks have a Transporter a Phaser, some kind of defensive shields/screens etc..

Same series different actors and uniforms.  How about a bit more imagination?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Voyager isn't my favorite either, but I never understood the hate it gets.

I don't think it's so much hate as extreme disappointment. Voyager had the potential and opportunity to be the apotheosis of the StarTrek saga. Then Paramount Pictures started chiming in on what to do and how to do it...

Then again, I grew up with TNG, so those episodes will always be my among my favorites.

I grew up with the original. And much as I liked that, TNG was definitely (IMO) the best and finest iteration once it got past its growing pains and the main members of the cast started to click as an ensemble. Pretty much the way a real ship's crew would.

Deep Space Nine started out not that great, but I heard from others that did watch DS9 completely, its ending was very strong.

It had it's moments. But those good scenes and storylines were spread out few and far between all the soap opera junk that made up the bulk of the series. Most times it felt like you were watching Dallas, except this time it was out in space.

Granted, I watched Voyager longer, because of an "interesting" new crew member...

Ah! Jeri, Jeri, Jeri...

Ms. Ryan probably did more to rekindle our fascination with metallic spandex than anything else found in the StarTrek universe.

For the record, Famke Janssen  :-*, Marina Sirtis, Denise Crosby, Sherry Jackson (whose legendary costume by Bill Theiss most emphatically answered the question in the TOS episode: What are Little Girls Made Of?), Beth Toussaint, and any of the 'Onion Girls' are more my speed.

(Note: Bill Theiss is on record as saying his Theiss Theory of Titillation maintains that “the degree to which a costume is considered sexy is directly dependent upon how accident-prone it appears to be.” )

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 05:45 AM »
Sherry Jackson (whose legendary costume by Bill Theiss most emphatically answered the question in the TOS episode: What are Little Girls Made Of?), Beth Toussaint, and any of the 'Onion Girls' are more my speed.

I liked Sherry Jackson since  Make Room For Daddy.

She was hot even wearing those ridiculous calf length skirts.  I think her only nude was in the Italian version of Gunn.  The Peter Gunn movie.  I saw her on Dick Cavett after that film was released.  She put on this sexy voice answering his questions and I had the impression they didn't call him "Dick" Cavett for nothing.  He turned a bit red because he was really getting turned on.  I can't blame him for that.  I always thought Sherry should have had lead roles. But perhaps she refused to do the casting couch bit.

A few of Sherry's stills from Gunn were in Playboy.  Likely a google will bring up some poor quality scans.

She spoke about the Trek outfit on one interview.  She pointed out that it wasn't actually very revealing.  But as the designer asserted, it gave the impression something interesting may be visible if you just paid attention.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 06:50 AM »
^Yes indeed. It was bordering on modest by today's standards. You can see far more on the average beach. Or at an up-scale cocktail party. But Ms. Jackson's poise and deportment lent a certain "authority" to whatever she wore. A fully buttoned choir robe would have worked equally well with her in it.

As even the normally unflappable Dick Cavett learned.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:47 PM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 09:42 AM »
DS9 was a completely different beast from the other shows because of the central role of long running story arcs.  As such, it requires more deliberate and in-sequence watching.

... And if you didn't care for where the arcs were going, it made the show hard to watch - which happened to me.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51 AM »

Voyager isn't my favorite either, but I never understood the hate it gets. ...

***Edited***
...the episode where they had (quite some) ship damage and they see a Borg cube flying at them...fast! And pass by them, without even paying attention...
Then 6 or so cubes are coming in, also fast. And again, Voyager is left alone.

Not long after they see a small ship (smaller than Voyager) that is chasing the cubes. ...

If we alter your comments a bit, it provides a lot of the reasons. The Borg was THE signature mega enemy of TNG, that they spent about four seasons building up. It took everything the Federation had including traumatizing Picard for life, to ... just buy some time.

So then in one little writing stint, some random little ship *terrorizes* the Borg so badly they don't think they even have time for a nice little snack!

Then the ... "interesting" ... crew member was given an "interesting" outfit, (that almost made Jeri pass out a couple of times on set!) ... just to ... gain your eyeballs longer when you actually weren't impressed with the writing, as you just admitted.

Another example is that whole breaking the Warp 10 barrier. And one I didn't care for was that at the end they suddenly decided, again in some misc writing stroke, that warp travel is damaging space so badly that future ships are not allowed over certain limits.

Back in my Trek club in college, we all pointed the correlation to the rise of Brannon Braga.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Another example is that whole breaking the Warp 10 barrier.

In TOS what cracked me up was The Prime Directive.  I think they broke TPD on 90+% of the episodes.  I suspect Roddenberry was giving a little dig to America's foreign policy stricture of "self determination."

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Then the ... "interesting" ... crew member was given an "interesting" outfit, (that almost made Jeri pass out a couple of times on set!) ... just to ... gain your eyeballs longer when you actually weren't impressed with the writing, as you just admitted.

Aha! :tellme: I always wondered why they eventually plunked Jeri into a Star Fleet uniform - even if that uniform, unlike those of the rest of the female cast, was oddly tailored to Barbie Doll specs. Apparently the Trek universe has evolved past Earth's PC phase by the time TNG boldy went...wherever to do...whatever.

My GF's reaction the first time she saw Seven of Nine was classic. After silently watching the entire episode, she looked at me and said "Huh! That's all real."  (Women apparently know these things.) I nodded and said so it seemed to me too. She reflected for a moment - and then said "Oh-KAY then!"

That was the sum total of her assessment of the woman and the costume. ;D
 ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:05 PM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 06:25 AM »
Apparently the Trek universe has evolved past Earth's PC phase by the time TNG boldy went...wherever to do...whatever.

One thing that bummed me was when they toned down Troy's Uniform on TNG.  She was showing some nice cleavage(and enjoying it according to one of her interviews.)  That move seemed counter-productive in my estimation.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 08:17 AM »
^ I'm not a Trekkie, nor really that big a fan of Roddenberry's universe. But I did go to a Trek convention once. It amazes me how deeply that show has shaped so many peoples lives. (Sometimes frighteningly so.) While there I got the chance to see a panel session with some of the TNG cast.

Marina Sirtis was funny and absolutely charming those few times I got to see and hear her then, as well as at various other scifi conventions. So was George Takei (a wonderful gentleman!) and Gates McFadden. (I always thought the writers did a particularly bad job with her character. The Dr. Crusher role had the potential to be so much more. Like Bones and Spock, she would have been the perfect verbal sparring partner for Worf. Instead, they cast her as a fairly neurotic pre-menopausal empty-nester who was about one month shy of being started on Prozac. Seriously guys...this was the best you could come up with for an elegant looking and rather classy female medical officer? No wonder they pay you the big bucks!)

BTW: If you ever do get a chance to hear Patrick Stewart, don't pass it up. He usually deserts the podium and speaks without a microphone. He's a Shakespearian actor so he knows how to project his voice so that it can be clearly heard in every corner of the room. And while not a physically large man, his stage presence is enormous. Patrick Stewart owns any room he speaks in. Not to be missed.

Trivia note: when asked, Sirtis said the one thing she always wanted to be given in the show was the opportunity to sit in the captain's chair and say Stewart's iconic line: "Engage!"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:31 AM by 40hz »