topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Some unknown webpage opens itself after starting my PC!  (Read 7044 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some unknown webpage opens itself after starting my PC!
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Hello folks,
       lately i noticed , after when i boot up my pc , i open webpage to browse and check my mails. But i noticed after some time like about 30-40 mins
 some webpages opens it by itself. There name are mentioned below.
http://dailytoughmen...04468&subid2=328
http://dailytoughmen...04468&subid2=328

They open in Internet Explorer and in Mozilla Firefox, sometimes different links but it opens at the same time.
Since i have a habit of downloading some stuffs from internet late at night, i usually restart my pc so that unknow program is not consuming my memory and leave the
download to complete till morning. When i wake up in the morning the same webpage's open in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, those webpages contains
some video about weight lose which plays by itself. But i notice my download is not complete, it consumes extra bandwidth.

I know i don't download adware or some useless junk from the net. I had my share of experience, so i think those junk must be downloaded by my other family
members. So what do i do to stop this, do i perform a reg scan , i don't use Anti-Virus, it just slows my PC. I have backups and whenever i face a problem i do a
restore. So what do i to stop this anonymous webpage from opening by itself and how did it get in the PC.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Some unknown webpage opens itself after starting my PC!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:43 AM »
i don't use Anti-Virus

Start there.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:03 AM »
If your restoration procedure works for you, I would apply it, because your system is very (!) likely infected with junk.

When restoration doesn't come as easy and you are adamant about not having a virus scanner installed on your computer, then I would use (one of the) online virus scanners that most AV companies offer for free. The free version of MBAM (MultiByte Anti Malware) and similar freeware such as JRT, RogueKiller, AdwareCleaner I would install/run as well. All of these scan on-demand only.

For every browser on your PC (not available for IE), get the add-on: Ghostery and white-list websites only after careful consideration and make sure you update this add-on, whenever it wants to.

If you are not the only user on your PC, get an anti-virus solution! Any! Do yourself that favor! Seriously!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:25 PM »
The short link http://dailytoughmen...dex.php?SourceId=773 is not dangerous by itself. But the extra "LINE_ITEM_ID_WILL_BE_HERE_ON_SERVING" -part is a line causing Norton 'safeweb' to react, and seems to have to do with "Fake App Attack: Fake Browser Update"! So someone in your family has probably clicked a fake "update now"-button on the web. I would say there most likely is more stuff to be found on your PC - so a scan&clean is important!

Surfing the Internet and downloading without anti-virus, is only acceptable when you are in absolute control of where&what - and you obviously aren't. So; Anti-virus, here hulkbuster comes! Or; family, stay off my PC!!

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:30 PM »
I'd try running Malwarebytes to see if it identifies any unwanted programs.

Note that you don't always have to install programs to get malware - sketchy sites often try to take advantage of hole in browsers to perform 'drive-by' installs of malware or to modify browser settings (such as start up pages).  Note that the sketchy sites don't have to be ones that you explicitly visited - advertising servers have been known to pass malware in the advertisements many websites use.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I'd try running Malwarebytes to see if it identifies any unwanted programs.

Note that you don't always have to install programs to get malware - sketchy sites often try to take advantage of hole in browsers to perform 'drive-by' installs of malware or to modify browser settings (such as start up pages).  Note that the sketchy sites don't have to be ones that you explicitly visited - advertising servers have been known to pass malware in the advertisements many websites use.

Also it is good to scan with SuperAntiSpyware Portable

The Quick scan is very good at catching PUPs and tracking cookies.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:17 PM »
First off, what Shades said 1000%. System restore first, and clean it only if that doesn't work.

If you do have to clean it, the 2 tools I use almost exclusively have already been mentioned - Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. However, I'd start with rkill prior to anything else. That will give everything that follows it a better shot of working.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Thank you Shades also OP for providing some assistance, i only had RKill v2.4.5 and Cleaner v1.2.8 , so i proceeded to download JRT AdwCleaner and also used CCleaner and a performed a regscan their. So far i havn't noticed any change in my PC and those annoying pages has stopped popping. I'll take that as problem fixed. I just don't like any add-ons on my browser. It might help some people, but i make a backup of my bookmarks of Firefox,Outlook and Chrome and these add-on acts as an obstacle their.

JRT v6.4.0 Download
RKill v2.4.5 Download
Cleaner v1.2.8  Download
AdwCleanre v4.105 Download
CCleaner v3.08.1475 Download

But i'll still not use anti-virus lol, its not that i m not heeding your opinion, it just slows my pc. I have a decent pc with dual core , 2 GB ram and 3.0 Ghz processor. Whenever i'll have a drastic situation , then restore would the way to go. But these kind of annoying things are rather best fixed and opt to a drastic restore.
Thank you guys.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:02 PM »
But i'll still not use anti-virus lol, its not that i m not heeding your opinion, it just slows my pc. I have a decent pc with dual core , 2 GB ram and 3.0 Ghz processor. Whenever i'll have a drastic situation , then restore would the way to go. But these kind of annoying things are rather best fixed and opt to a drastic restore.

Fine (sorta :tellme:) as long as you don't do any online banking or shopping on that machine. If somebody succeeds in dropping a keylogging trojan on your PC, all the cleaning and recovery operations in the world won't mitigate the problems you may shortly encounter. It'll just be locking the barn after your horse is gone.

Antimalware is most effective when it's used as a preventative - not as a "fix."

Anyway...good luck going forward. :Thmbsup:  You'll need it. :)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Despite your claim to the contrary, if your computer slows down enough to dissuade you from using AV software,  it is not 'decent'. If you are getting infected with easily avoided malware, which appears to have been the case here, your computer is, in fact, inadequate.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.