topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: vibe streamer - your own personal mp3 server software  (Read 14248 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
vibe streamer - your own personal mp3 server software
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:26 AM »
free and looks quite good

Vibe Streamer is a free MP3 streaming server
that allows you to connect and
stream your music using only a standard
web browser. - Play your music anywhere!

from snapfiles.com

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: vibe streamer - your own personal mp3 server software
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Heck yes! I'm downloading this.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 03:44 PM »
Hmm, looks interesting. I have used a combination of Shoutcast and WWWinamp in the past, which worked well and was actually pretty cool. But a more "turnkey" solution would be welcome.

[edit] Ok, this is pretty cool. I don't like not being able to specify the details of my stream quality, but you can specify total quality *per user*, which is pretty cool. Speaking of which the multiple user management in itself is a cool feature - it supports lots of things like specific IP's per user, directory access permissions, etc. It also supports playlists which is pretty cool. All this through a web browser. Working with playlists isn't necessarily immediately intuitive, but basically you just create a new playlist, name it, then queueu up whatever tracks you want on it into the current playlist, then click Save and it moves the tracks into the currently named playlist. Unfortunately queueing up multiple tracks seemed to be a slow affair - no way to do whole directories or even multiple files?

I did have a problem playing it through Opera where if I minimized the browser or even switched away from the player's tab it would stop playing, so that sucks. But I've got it open in IE and minimized now and no problem. I'm not sure if the Opera problem is just my install, or perhaps IndieVolume or something, but unfortunately there's no forum to explore and find out if others have the same problem. I think a forum would help a lot as the documentation is rather sparse.

All in all it's a cool little app, it just needs a bit more development. It's great for simple music streaming and playing now, and with better support for adding multiple songs/directories and maybe some id3-based features, it'd be great. I'd love to see it able to display cover art by loading a named .jpg in the current folder for example... [/edit]

- Oshyan
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 04:29 PM by JavaJones »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:58 AM »
Excellent find, I have set it up to run off of my fileserver.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:19 AM »
Have been playing with this a bit more. I found out how to add directories, which is good. When you select a directory (top leve, for example) that has subdirectories, in the list in the right view pane you'll see little green plus signs to the right of the dir name. These will add that dir to the current playlist. So that's nice. However I do find its "streaming" behavior to be a bit poor compared to say Shoutcast. The control over the stream rate/quality is just not there, as far as I can tell, so it can be very hard to get a good, consistent stream off say a home DSL connection. It kept cutting out for me anyway, even after I told it to limit to 8KB/s outgoing. I also think WWWinamp has a much better searching function.

All that being said this app is new and has a lot of great capabilities, so I'm hoping it'll see some good development and come out with some of these needed features soon. Alternatively I'd welcome an alternative Shoutcast web front end aside from WWWinamp (which is decent but a bit buggy and no longer in development).

- Oshyan

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 10:29 AM »
I used to use a program called SnackAmp for a while:
http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/

It could also stream mp3's from a server computer over the web.  It worked pretty well, and the web-portion interfaces with the snackamp player, which was an interesting alternative to winamp itself.  It looks like the author hasn't updated the program (open source) for about a year now.  I used to keep in touch with him in the beginning, but not anymore.  He's a nice guy.

One thing that is inconvenient about streaming mp3's is that you're going to be limited by your ISP's upload bandwidth.  A lot of my mp3's are 320 kbps and 256 kbps, and that translates to 40 and 32 KB/s of upload bandwidth.  I know my ISP is capped at about 20 or 30 KB/s, so when I tried to play my mp3's they would get all choppy and the playback sometimes just paused completely.  So, it was very inconvenient.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 08:54 PM »
Generally speaking you're going to have to downsample your audio for streaming. To me that's just a natural thing to accept and I have no problem with it. It's a small sacrifices to "only" get 64kbps audio when I can have access to my entire music library from any computer. One of my problems with Vibe is it doesn't have very good control of bitrates. It has simplistic bitrate control but it doesn't seem to produce very good/consistent results.

I'll check out SnackAmp.

- Oshyan

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 03:44 PM »
A lot of my mp3's are 320 kbps and 256 kbps...

This has nothing to do with vibestreamer, but if your a bit  of an audiophile maybe you should look int Musepack. It supposed to be the best at higher bitrates.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:11 AM »
http://www.kplaylist.net/

kPlaylist is a free PHP system that makes your music collection available via the Internet.

2007-09-16_193946.jpg
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>