ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Pre-review Discussion for Graphics Viewers Review

<< < (9/13) > >>

Scott:
With acdsee 7.0 I've tried excluding the root of each hard drive (and subfolders) from being thumbnailed but that doesn't work. You have to exclude the folders below the root or they disappear upon restart . In fact, being unable to switch the thumbnail/database thing off really is annoying.-jpfx (June 22, 2005, 08:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not the behavior I have here; I have all my drives excluded except one, and it works fine.  All I have under Excluded Folders are root directories.  Are you running build 102?  They did have some issues with the database, and the exclusion feature, in earlier builds.

I'll spill a little secret here; it's unrelated, but I think worth mentioning.  Please don't spread it far and wide, or they'll probably find some way around it.  ;)

Anyway, under the General section of the options dialog, there is an option to Automatically check for updates.  I think this is an important feature.  But the problem with this--and it is a problem--is that in order to benefit from this feature, you have to give up some privacy.  As a trade-off to the update checks, the idiots try forcing you to submit usage statistics to them on a regular basis.  :down:

I don't care for that, so I found a way around it.  Just enable the aforementioned setting, then find this file:

--- ---C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\ACD Systems\ACDSee\70\UsageTrack.txt
And set it to read-only.  Hello update checks, goodbye usage tracking!  :)

jpfx:
well, I have v7.102 but I don't have the file you mention, it's just an empty directory. I've figured that the settings for what you exclude from the database are actually stored within the database (as opposed to the registry or an ini file). So removing all db info was actually reseting everything. Still prefer 'off' as an option (sulk).

Scott:

UsageTrack.txt won't appear unless you have the aforementioned setting enabled.

Just rebuild the database and exclude what you want, then leave alone, and you should be fine.  Be happy you're using build 102; the previous build had a problem where the names of all directories and files you navigated to got shoved in the database, even if they were excluded.  I had to scream pretty loud to get that fixed.

Jibz:
But the problem with this--and it is a problem--is that in order to benefit from this feature, you have to give up some privacy.  As a trade-off to the update checks, the idiots try forcing you to submit usage statistics to them on a regular basis. :down:-Scott
--- End quote ---

That really sucks >:(.

Scott:
I know.  I think it's bullshit.  I've had thoughts of typing the message "Hello, <expletives>!" in that file, then setting it read-only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version