topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Resource for new FARR users  (Read 3134 times)

wideeyedguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Resource for new FARR users
« on: January 30, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Is there a place (post or sticky post) that a new FARR user can refer to see that certain plugins are no longer viable or functioning or being updated?
I am spending quite a bit of time trying to learn FARR; watched the screencasts and am moving through various forum posts so I'm not bothering others with obvious questions already answered. And, I am becoming a bit weary with doing this only to get to the end of a thread and see that it hasn't been discussed for several years now.

ex. Windows Search plugin (ws) - When I first saw this in one of the screencasts, I believe, my heart skipped a beat thinking I may have found a way to do something I want to be able to do - search the contents of files outside of WinExplorer. Downloaded/installed the plugin. However, when I call it up, it crashes FARR . . . several and now every time.

So, I went into the plugin forum to determine if there was a solution only to get to the end of the thread and see that it hasn't had any activity since Dec.2011.
Well, simple conclusion to this for me seems to be that this plugin must not be useful or no one is having any issues with it or it has been abandoned.

Before I try to resurrect a thread that is three-years ended, what might I consider doing?

This is why I ask my initial question.
Is there somewhere I could look to see that indeed this plugin - or other aspect of FARR - has been shelved . . . or what?

Thank you for whatever direction you can give me.

weg

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Resource for new FARR users
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Hi wideeyedguy

If the Windows Search plugin is not working for you please don't hesitate to post your problems in that specific thread, even if it's 3 years old.

Although I'm not really using the WS plugin I have it installed and it was working just fine when I tried it just now. As you have seen in the WS plugin thread there have been people reporting crashes, which, unfortunately, I have never been able to solve. So, maybe with your help I can try to pinpoint that problem.