ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox update download trap

(1/2) > >>

MilesAhead:
I still get snared by the Firefox update download trap.  I set Firefox update to Never Check for Updates.  However if I click the Help Menu then click the About then Check for Updates, if I should happen to click the Update to whatever version when offered, there's no way to turn it off.  If I kill the browser, when I reopen it, it starts the download where it left off.  Now I'm stuck completing the update if I want to or not.

I can't believe they still haven't fixed this.  It needs to have an Abort Button!

40hz:
I can't believe they still haven't fixed this
-MilesAhead (December 06, 2014, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's more one of those "it's not a bug - it's a feature" deals. :-\

I have an ongoing fistfight trying to keep it from updating. >:(

MilesAhead:
I can't believe they still haven't fixed this
-MilesAhead (December 06, 2014, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's more one of those "it's not a bug - it's a feature" deals. :-\

I have an ongoing fistfight trying to keep it from updating. >:(
-40hz (December 06, 2014, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh.  I did manage to find the installer for the build I was running.  It figures I take one chance and let it update and it acts flaky.  I had to "upgrade" back to the 36.x build.  The more things don't change..  :)

Innuendo:
This wonderful behavior can be stopped by configuring (or even better uninstalling) the Mozilla Maintenance Service.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/what-mozilla-maintenance-service

MilesAhead:
This wonderful behavior can be stopped by configuring (or even better uninstalling) the Mozilla Maintenance Service.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/what-mozilla-maintenance-service
-Innuendo (December 06, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I always do a custom install and uncheck the option to install the maintenance service.
The disable this behavior info shown in the link where is says to uncheck the option to install in the background.. I don't have that option.  So that indicates to me it never snuck the install by me.  :)

Edit:  I thought "sneak snack snuk" was better but online reference says I should write "sneaked."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version