topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a good Android launcher  (Read 10560 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a good Android launcher
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:12 AM »
I'm in search of a new launcher for my android phone. I'm looking for some specific things in this launcher.
1.I'd like the app tray to be organized in folders kind of like how they are organized in the aviate launcher.
2.I'd like to have a global search option like in the everythingme launcher. (start typing and it searches for music, contacts, apps, etc.)
3.Not a deal breaker by any means (and really don't expect to have this feature), but I would like to be able to place an app on my homescreen, and then swipe up from the app, and display a widget like in the action launcher.
App tray(Aviate launcher)
app tray.png
App search(everythingme launcher)
app search.png
(BONUS)Swipe up widgets(action launcher)
popup widgets.png

I kind of like everythingme, because of it's smart folders on the desktop (the wallpaper changes to the subject of the folder), but it auto populates the folders, so I won't be able to remember which folder my apps are in. (though, I guess that is fixable by using the find feature, and just start typing in the name of the app)

As an alternative to the above features, does anyone know of any fancy launchers with cool features? I have a note 4, so my phone should be able to handle all the bells and whistles of the launcher.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a good Android launcher
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:49 PM »
It may be considered old and boring these days, but I still have Nova Launcher Prime as my go-to. Support for Google Now, folders on both the home screen and in the app drawer, tabs in the app drawer, gestures, support for 'unread' badges, and alternate swipe actions for icons on the dock all make it perfect for me. It's lack of a global search (only offers search in the app drawer) is alleviated by my owning a Samsung device and its very capable S Finder.

Doesn't hurt either that I was able to pick up Nova Launcher Prime for a quarter (or was it a dime?) on a Google app sale. :)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I completly forgot about S Finder. I've never actually used it. I'll have to look at nova launcher. the tabbed app drawer sounds interesting.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I was loving the free version. The scrolling dock was awesome, and I can put 1x1 widgets in it. The only downside, is I was forced to buy the prime version to get the tabs in the app drawer. But for me, the $4 I payed was worth it just to have tabs and the app drawer displayed in list mode alone. I also like how I can remap the home button to launch S Finder from the primary homescreen. Might have found my new favorite launcher! :Thmbsup:

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:17 AM »
I used Nova launcher for years and it is very nice and customizable, but I switched to Smart Launcher because I liked the much more simplistic UI. It's still quite sleek, and the app drawer is categorized.

I don't think it does all you mention, but might be worth a look :Thmbsup:.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 03:20 PM »
I've used smart launcher in the past, and even own the pro version of it. I do like how the "tabs" are organized on the left instead of across the top (in nova launcher prime) Though, I like more how I can organize my apps into tabs and then an alphabetical list in Nova Launcher Prime. It makes it easier to sift through all my apps. Plus, I've grown to love the multiple pages of docks that Nova Launcher Prime provides. I can put my phone, web browser, messaging, and camera apps on the primary dock, and then slide the dock to either the left or right (I've got three pages setup right now) and then have access to my most used apps, all while keeping my actual homescreen clean and uncluttered. The only two things I can think of to make Nova Launcher Prime even better, is to be able to move the app drawer tabs to the left of the screen, and when in list view, have the letters of the alphabet along the right side of the screen to quickly jump to that letter. (Right now, you can run your finger up and down the right side of the screen, and it will scroll through the alphabet, but doesn't jump to specific letter, so it is very easy to scroll past the letter you want to stop on.) I don't know if the features could be added, because I've heard from some sources that Nova Launcher isn't being developed anymore, and I've also heard that it will be developed more.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 01:44 PM »
I don't know if the features could be added, because I've heard from some sources that Nova Launcher isn't being developed anymore, and I've also heard that it will be developed more.

Glad I could help by suggesting something that has turned out you really like. Don't worry about the development of Nova Launcher. The developer went on hiatus for a year or so due to real life things such as having a baby, but he's back now and he's published two or three updates in the past couple months for both Nova Launcher and the Tesla Unread plugin.

He came back with a bang, too, becoming the first third-party launcher to support Google Now and its voice activation from the home screen.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Ah, yeah I read that he went on hiatus. I just didn't know that he was back now.  :up: I'll have to suggest those features then.