topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Raspberry Pi project: wireless file server  (Read 20489 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Raspberry Pi project: wireless file server
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 04:15 PM »
more updates on the ravpower:

So I've actually used it for it's intended purpose.  I'm on a computer and accessing usb files from a thumbdrive.  But i need to sync this drive when I get home to upload all the changes and stuff that i worked on.  but I'm tired of removing it from the keychain at home to do it everyday, because I just forget most of the time.  So the purpose of ravpower was to do this all automatically whenever things get in range.

So the device syncs with my usb whenever I'm out and about.  I set it up with th wifi samba drive and mapped the device to a letter.  Then I use syncovery to sync it.  The only real problem so far is that you can't share a wifi connection, or I don't know how to do it.  Meaning, if my tablet or phone is using wifi to access general data/internet, i have to turn it off and switch to the ravpower to access that.  Then switch back when I need the internet.  So that's that really "automatic".  I don't even know if it necessarily is less of a headached the plugging in/out the usb drive.

But I may be able to fix that if i figure out network bridging or dhcp stuff.  I'm doing that now.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I do need help with this problem of retaining internet access while accessing the wifi drive.
Here is my network setup:
Screenshot - 12_29_2014 , 3_31_36 PM.png

The first network listed is the normal network I use to access the internet.  Once I connect the wifi drive, I have two networks now, but the wifi drive has no internet access (as it says).  However, the browser is unable to access the internet when they are both connected.  Once the wifi drive is disconnected, the browsers work again.

So what do I have to do to make the computer understand that I want to retain internet access through the first network, but also connect simultaneously to the drive with wifi?

I even went into the ravpower wifi settings and set the ip addresses and dhcp information to be 11.11.11.*** instead of the default 10.10.10.*** which is what I thought would work.  But it doesn't do anything.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27 PM »
I don't know if it will help but what order are the adapters listed in under Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings->Adapters and Bindings

2014-12-30 16_25_39.png

And if it isn't, what happens if you move the Local Area Connection to the top?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 09:26 AM »
I don't know if it will help but what order are the adapters listed in under Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings->Adapters and Bindings
 (see attachment in previous post)
And if it isn't, what happens if you move the Local Area Connection to the top?
Well I'll be!  That seems to have done the trick!  And you have shown me a corner of windows I never even knew about!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 02:19 PM »
@4wd - Nice catch! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Thanks - TBH, I'd completely forgotten about that setting also until a couple of days ago when I was trying to work out why my internet connection was suddenly giving me my VM NIC IP and thus not working.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 07:19 PM »
TBH, I'd completely forgotten about that setting

Me too! ;D