ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi project: wireless file server

<< < (2/7) > >>

Deozaan:
This app.-4wd (December 02, 2014, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which app is that? The link is blank.

4wd:
My bad, could have sworn I put the link in there ... fixed.

Just search for PirateBox on Google Play otherwise.

ewemoa:
A little advice: when shopping for a wi-fi adapter for the Pi, there are certain chipsets to avoid. There's a long list here:
http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters
-Edvard (December 02, 2014, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for this :)

superboyac:
How much file space are we talking about?

Simple solution if you don't mind an open WiFi:

* A rooted Android Smartphone with OTG capability, (@superboyac: considering the number of posts you've made in the last couple of years, you must have a box full of spare phones :P )
* OTG cable, (powered if you want to run a portable HDD instead of flash drive).
* A flash drive for file storage.
* This app.
Flash drive and OTG cable not even required if you use a 32GB microSD card and it's enough.

If you went and got a TP-LINK MR3020 for what you wanted here, install PirateBox on it.

Self-contained, self-powered web-based file sharing.
-4wd (December 02, 2014, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D well, not quite...I do my research on the cheap.  If I see someone with a phone I haven't played with, I might take it for a while and not return it until I'm satisfied with my study.  Most people are not terribly thrilled with it...I get a lot of "Don't break it" comments, which is funny, because I can't even remember the last time I've ever broken something.  Ah, people.

The ultimate goal in all these efforts is to replace my portable thumbdrive with something that can do the same without needing to plug it into stuff.  So let's say I'm out and about, transferring files here and there from the thumbdrive, well...now when I get home, i need to stick that thing in my home computer to copy everything over.  It would be easier if I could have a wifi direct enabled server that runs on batteries, and I just keep it in my bag.  Whenever it's in range of any device, it just syncs using standard syncing software, and I never have to remove it from my bag or whatever.  Except to charge occasionally. That's my goal.

Target:
wireless portable HDD's are already starting to appear

not vouching for the content at all but this might be a starter for you top 5 wireless portable hdd's

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version