topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Extremely simple and minimal sticky notes for windows  (Read 11586 times)

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Extremely simple and minimal sticky notes for windows
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:23 AM »
Windows built in sticky notes application is minimal but it likes to keep itself on task bar. I keep my desktop literally clean so there is nothing but beautiful wallpaper. There are a lot of sticky notes applications out there but they offer bulk of functions, when you right click it pops up a huge list of options.
Even if it offers font styling etc it should keep those options hidden from the view, keyboard shortcuts are there for that.

Is there any simple sticky notes application with which I stick notes on desktop with just a click and does NOT have that huge bulk of options? Simple stuff just works.

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Extremely simple and minimal sticky notes for windows
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:37 AM »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Years ago on Win2K, I used a pretty simple one called ATnotes. It has been discontinued since 2005 by the looks of it, but it may still work.

http://atnotes.free.fr/

If you do not need them visible on your desktop at all times, you could also consider something like CintaNotes, which is more of a minimalistic note manager with search and clipping.

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 05:52 AM »
I want them to be visible on desktop. I just don't want that extra load of features and options. I want simple notes that stick, not MS Office.

ATNotes is light on desktop but gives list of things like alarm, layout, folder and other stuff. It is tangled.

Also I found digiNotes http://diginotes.sou...et/screenshoots.html that is kind of minimal
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:00 AM by lifeh2o »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:25 AM »
PNotes is overloaded with features but... once you have set everything ... you may forget it's there.  At least I forget it's there.  ;D

I just double click the tray icon to open just the stickies.

Freeware: http://pnotes.sourceforge.net/

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 04:14 AM »
digiNotes crashes a lot.

Used PNotes years ago in windows xp. Gave it another try. Removed extra stuff from notes, now I can create notes on a double click. Right click is still noisy.

http://drakendev.com...es-taskbar-hider.htm let me hide windows built in sticky notes from task bar.

motiontwelve

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:38 AM »
@lifeh2o: I used to be in the same boat as you but later found out that screen space is too valuable to clutter up with virtual stickies.  After trying about 20 different sticky apps, Zhorn's Stickies seemed the best but now I am leaning towards ResophNotes or Evernote  v2.2.1.386 (last fully offline version before it got crippled).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Not sure if it's quite what you want, but DC member anandcoral wrote Stick-A-Note.  IainB's review is here: Stick-A-Note + Universal Viewer - Mini-Review

There was a very simple Stickynotes by Toren K. Smith at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/tbone , but that page has gone (WayBackMachine?).  Or, take a look at KNot v2.04b
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:16 PM by rjbull, Reason: Added Stickynotes and KNot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 06:15 AM »
Not sure if it's quite what you want, but DC member anandcoral wrote Stick-A-Note.  IainB's review is here: Stick-A-Note + Universal Viewer - Mini-Review

There was a very simple Stickynotes by Toren K. Smith at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/tbone , but that page has gone (WayBackMachine?).  Or, take a look at KNot v2.04b

Yes, I wondered whether Stick-A-Note might fit the bill for lifeh2o.
Stickynotes by Toren K. Smith is in the Wayback (I just looked) - e.g., http://web.archive.o...xas.edu/users/tbone/
He has apparently moved his website and Stickynotes to http://www.torensmith.com/?page_id=9
The Stickynotes version there is the same as the latest download from the Wayback pages (identical file hashes) - i.e., v2.0.0.4 (2004-09). Apparently, it's not been developed since. I haven't tried it out, but I did take an archive copy of both the .ZIP and .EXE (installer) files as I was fossicking about. He only offers the installer file now at torensmith.com.

The old online Stickynotes User Guide is here: http://web.archive.o...tickynotes-docs.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:24 AM by IainB »

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 06:47 AM »

This is for those who are not looking for very simple sticky notes for windows but may land up on this page.

If you are looking for more useful sticky notes app (stay on top, reminders etc) then there is something called Notezilla that we created. I am specifically mentioning because we do offer discounts to donationcoders.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 07:55 AM »
GumNotes.com is fairly minimal.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Prompted by dr_andus' comment "fairly minimal," and by re-reading the OP, I think you may be less concerned by the total feature set, than by features not getting in your way.  In which case, I suggest taking a look at the sticky notes program I use myself, the little-known Magic Notes.  From your point of view, the plus point would be that a left double-click on the tray icon (or a hotkey) gets you a new plain sticky note, with no fluff, with whatever defaults you've set.  You can get to fonts, colours, alarms, attach-to-window etc., if you want them, by clicking the Note Window Menu icon or by function keys.  But they won't bother you if you don't bother them.  Right-click on the tray icon gets you About, Help, Preferences and other general program stuff.

Magic Notes is $19.95 payware.  There's no generally-available free version that I know of, but the trial period is a generous 45 days.  Development is glacially slow, but I've used it for years in different versions and it has always worked perfectly well.  Its feature set is comparable with Stickies and Notezilla (the latter has more features, I think).

Another sticky notes program that I haven't tried, but which has been around for a long time (since 1998, apparently), is TurboNote.  TurboNote+ is on version 7.0.  Its basic price is $US 29.97, but TurboNote v.3.4 is freeware (see their FAQ page).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:42 PM by rjbull »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 03:51 AM »
TurboNote's basic price is $US 29.97,
Save just 12 minutes a day — like most of our users — and you'll pay for TurboNote+ in only two weeks.
-TurboNote

so I must make $15 per hour, (a week being 5 days), it seems.
funny arithmetic... makes it sound a little expensive, doesn't it.  :-\

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Sticky notes sw is skeuomorph pc crap par excellence; 3 M ("Post-it") should had have it banned world-wide in time; of course now it's too late.

Since it's (too) demanding to find ways to glue the stickies to divisions, pages, paragraphs, Excel cells and so on (cf. my discussion with Mr. Jaim over at outlinerblahblah.com), for most developers, in order to justify their prices (Jaim, TurboNote et al.), they spice their crap up instead with needless goodies the user (cf. the current thread's starting post) will then have difficulty to avoid, visually and/or by functionality, and most of the offerings do not even "follow" their original file when that's moved or renamed.

For the time being, users should have a look into metadata matters, mentioned again by me over at blahbah just some weeks ago: AHK both can read and write ADS, to give just one example, and SearchMyFile (another freeware from the incredible generous NirSoft venture) will find them. Thus, with just some lines of macro code, you would be able to get some quite satisfying metadata functionality on the file level at least, for free, and the way you prefer. OL mails being accessible, too, one by one, with some more lines of scripting, you'll be able to have stickies for mails, too, and with some more few lines, the stickies would pop up for any mail in question, or the mail would be displayed from your choosing from the sticies' list; all this is as basic as it gets.

Or then, continue to buy lovely-colored skeu-o-crap any lovely 3-year-old would rave of. Back around 1984, pc's were meant for grown-ups, you know, it happened only some time later anybody now's a comp expert. Well, such unwanted democratization at least holds prices down, as long as all those unqualified, retarded laymen more or less frenetically buy (this latter nexus not being evident in connection with cooked apple stuff yet).
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I find myself using Google Keep a lot. It has just the right amount of features to be useful without being complex.