ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for Windows Email Server Options

(1/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
As Windows Server 2003 is quickly approaching EOL, I'm faced with the prospect of having to migrate my Email server to something else...and I do not have the (hardware) resources to run a full blown Exchange server here in the home office lab. So...

I'm looking for suggestions on a lightweight free - preferably Windows - Email server, that will need to support no more than a dozen mailboxes. Straight POP/SMTP is fine, although IMAP might be nice if the resource usage can be kept tightly reigned in (it will be running in Hyper-V).

40hz:
Take a look at hMailServer. It's about as easy as it gets. And it can even be run on a vanilla workstation machine. No server OS required. Got an old Win7 box with decent RAM just sitting around?

Never saw it running as a virtual. But I don't see why it wouldn't work.

ADD: This guy seems to have gotten it working. He included the config details.

8) :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
Take a look at hMailServer. It's about as easy as it gets. And it can even be run on a vanilla workstation machine. No server OS required. Got an old Win7 box with decent RAM just sitting around?-40hz (November 29, 2014, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this a solution you've used successfully in the past?? I spotted it in a web search too, and it seems pretty popular ... But then again so was AOL.. :D

There's a couple of things about it that I found troubling. Like, why is PHPMyAdmin (mentioned frequently in the support forum) apparently part of the setup? If the thing has a browser based configuration, that's an added level of exposure I'm not tickled about. I also didn't see a lot of professionals commenting in the support forum...which makes me a bit uneasy.

40hz:
Set one up as a temporary for an underfunded NP about 3 years back. It worked for them with about 20 users for half a year. Can't really say more about it than that. Ideal? Hardly. But it got the job done.

They eventually shifted over to a hosted service once they got better funding. Which made sense. They really couldn't afford IT support on their budget.

If you have serious security concerns, I'd probably forget about freebie solution for email.

Btw...What's wrong with phpMyAdmin?

Stoic Joker:
Set one up as a temporary for an underfunded NP about 3 years back. It worked for them with about 20 users for half a year. Can't really say more about it than that. Ideal? Hardly. But it got the job done.-40hz (November 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm currently running straight MS IIS POP/SMTP. It ain't feature rich - the Exchange server at the office spoiled the hell outta my ass - but it does what I need ... Although aliases would be nice..

They eventually shifted over to a hosted service once they got better funding. Which made sense. They really couldn't afford IT support on their budget.-40hz (November 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I generally don't bother "budgeting" for IT :) But I do have to budget my time, so moving parts need to be kept to a manageable minimum. There are obvious risks to self hosting and I don't need to complicate them with flakey systems that want to tie into things they don't need to...or are unnecessarily complicated in their implementation.

If you have serious security concerns, I'd probably forget about freebie solution for email.-40hz (November 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

My "security concerns" are why I'm self hosted. :D

Btw...What's wrong with phpMyAdmin?
-40hz (November 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not a damn thing. I actually love it ...(for MySQL administration)... I just thought it was a really odd thing for a mail server to require.

-----------------------------------------

I'm from the less is more minimalist camp ...(I detest bells and whistles)... "Features" to me are just more holes to exploit.

...It's also a 4 day holiday weekend - which has been total shit, because -  I've got some kind of flu, and I'm feeling a bit old and tired of having to keep up with all of this shit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version