ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for Windows Email Server Options

<< < (5/7) > >>

40hz:
@SJ - That was my experience too.

Glad to see it seems to be the general consensus.  ;)

Stoic Joker:
For anyone else that might be shopping this question, I did also run across this: POP3 Server for Windows Server 2008/2012.

It looks like a great product, but I did not take the time to try it (it is dependent on the MS SMTP). And after experiencing the ease and simplicity of the hMailServer setup I don't feel bad about it either. Why, you may ask? Simple. The hMailServer cleanly did the one thing that the MS SMTP server never did want to do properly. Masquerade the Email server's actual internal name.

40hz:
@Shades - thx for that recommendation about MySQL Workbench. I didn't know there was a community version available. "What a treat" is an understatement. Very nice tool! :Thmbsup:

mateek:
Stoic Joker, you seem happy with the solution you chose, but I'm thinking back on how you gushed about Exchange a bit at the top of this topic.  

I thought I'd throw out that I use Exchange on Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2008 run virtually on my Windows 8.1 home PC.  I don't use the email function, just the calendar, but I know it can be done.  The cost is approximately $200 for an SBS2008 virtual license and another $40 or so for Exchange.  Actually Exchange is listed as included, but when I had to reinstall last year I was cut-off for some reason, and had to go shopping around.  When I migrated to my current Windows 8.1 and was running out of room for migrations (and much sleep) I stupidly mistakenly overwrote my backup, thus the reinstall, but it ran flawlessly for about a year.  At the time, I used Virtual Box by Oracle, as SBS2008 wasn't listed as Hyper-V compatible.  I learned by trial and error that it actually works fine with Hyper-V (better in fact).  

I apologize if I've gone off-topic, or made you second guess your solution.  Maybe I'll solicit a critique on the advantages of the other solutions written here.  I'm really a novice as I haven't used the email of my Exchange at all.  

Can Exchange go right on your Windows Server 2012?  I know Server 2011 required the Standard addition for Exchange, unless that's another Microsoft ommission.  Does your Server 2012 even come with Hyper-V?  

Stoic Joker:
Stoic Joker, you seem happy with the solution you chose, but I'm thinking back on how you gushed about Exchange a bit at the top of this topic.-mateek (January 10, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh dear ... I hadn't realized I was "Gushing" - That's not very Stoic of me - I'll have to be sure to curtail that in the future to keep my reputation intact.. :D ;)

But seriously, the solution discussed here was/is for my home lab network and replaced an aging/EoL (Virtual Server 2007) Windows Server 2003 POP/SMTP server that I'd been running for a decade. It only controls my personal domain with a small number of mailboxes. So given what else I do I didn't want to spare the resources doing a full blown Exchange implementation because it would cut too far into what I have available for experimentation.

Note: I'm the Network/Systems Administrator for one of the largest IT companies in the area, and we have an MSDN subscription. So experimentation can occasionally require quite a few resources when I use my home lab as a 'the other end' of a test setup.

Point being I didn't replace Exchange with hMailServer, we still run Exchange at the office. I used it to replace my - self hosted - personal domain mail server. Both are stellar solutions for their appointed tasks (Crap - I think I might be gushing again..).

I thought I'd throw out that I use Exchange on Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2008 run virtually on my Windows 8.1 home PC.  I don't use the email function, just the calendar, but I know it can be done.-mateek (January 10, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

That must be one hell of a calendar! :D I do believe it is safe to say that Virtualization is by far my favorite technology to play with.

At the time, I used Virtual Box by Oracle, as SBS2008 wasn't listed as Hyper-V compatible.  I learned by trial and error that it actually works fine with Hyper-V (better in fact).-mateek (January 10, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think there is any MS OS that can't be run on Hyper-V - I've got a copy of DOS v6.22 virtualized on my lab domain now. It really is amazing how few resources a server OS requires when it isn't having to futz with the hardware.

I apologize if I've gone off-topic, or made you second guess your solution.  Maybe I'll solicit a critique on the advantages of the other solutions written here.  I'm really a novice as I haven't used the email of my Exchange at all.-mateek (January 10, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looks on topic to me.. If you try using Exchange for you Email, just remember their are a list of caveats a mile long with self hosting because of spammers, and viruses making everyone paranoid as hell about anything coming from a residential IP address.

I'm not saying not to do it ... I'm just cautioning not to go live with a critical system (like your primary Email address's domain) until you're sure your ISP allows it, your - server side - spam filter will hold, and you have enough space for what Exchange is about to do -(transaction log size will skyrocket)- to your hard drives. And etcetera...

Can Exchange go right on your Windows Server 2012?-mateek (January 10, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, Exchange 2007 and above will run in Server 2012.

I know Server 2011 required the Standard addition for Exchange, unless that's another Microsoft ommission.-mateek (January 10, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

For a single server implementation common sense requires the Standard edition of Exchange, as the cost of Enterprise licensing is pointless outside of a huge multi server corporate environment.

Does your Server 2012 even come with Hyper-V?-mateek (January 10, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC everything does these days ...(hardware permitting)... That's the primary reason I upgraded to Windows 8.1 at the office.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version