ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NaNoWriMo ... the gruelling writing event for 2014

(1/2) > >>

wraith808:
So, I don't know if anyone else is struggling to finish... but if so, here's a kick in the butt for you that someone sent me.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2014/11/26/why-its-important-to-finish-your-shit/

TaoPhoenix:

I'll chip in some misc notes from bios I have read.

Someone (from an intro I have lost) said that Balzac damaged his writing skill by essentially being forced by life to write too fast ... that he lost some sense of subtlety, and once it was gone, a few of his later books and ultimately his health suffered and he died young.

Elsewhere I read in bios that some people's books take years to write as they gestate. Particularly the ones that require both research and a premise that you can't just crank out.

So "in a month" might have caveats.

wraith808:
This was a post about finishing your writing and about NaNoWriMo in particular... not about the merits or not of the exercise.  A get into gear... like the ending of a grueling marathon where you have to dig deep and finish.

40hz:
Someone (from an intro I have lost) said that Balzac damaged his writing skill by essentially being forced by life to write too fast
-TaoPhoenix (November 28, 2014, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

How could anyone who was not a contemporary and close personal friend of Balzac possibly know that to be true? Seriously. :huh:

I drives me crazy when biographers or 'intro' writers present their personal opinions or conclusions about about something in an author's life as an established fact. Perhaps it makes for a quotable line or two in a review. But it usually has scant basis in fact.

40hz:
This was a post about finishing your writing and about NaNoWriMo in particular... not about the merits or not of the exercise.  A get into gear... like the ending of a grueling marathon where you have to dig deep and finish.
-wraith808 (November 29, 2014, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Appreciated, even though that sort of exercise doesn't work for me. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version