ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

2014-2015: Best tablet specs for ebook reading

<< < (5/13) > >>

wraith808:
Perhaps he was a bit aggressive in using the word dead, but the improvements and features are going towards non-e-ink devices, I think that's pretty clear.  For the longest time, I was stuck on the fact that e-ink was better to read... but after using a non-e-ink reading device, I haven't gone back, realizing that the bias has shifted.  Reading on one of the newer screens isn't that much different in my eyes, and there are many devices that are tailored to read on.

It's a matter of preference, and all three types of reading media (and more hopefully) will be around for a while.  It really doesn't matter how you read, as much as it matters that you read.  And for mouser's use, e-ink hasn't been well developed, I can say from my own experiences.

superboyac:
I remember that thread, mouser.  I'm with you, for journals and magazines, the letter size is pretty ideal.  I've been reading on 4" androids, ipads, asus transformer, and the surface pro.  The one I like the best is the surface pro.  Now, for journals and magazines, it's still too small.  Most people will say I'm crazy, but it is.  It's a big screen, great resolution, great everything, but for that kind of stuff it is still too small.  You really need 8.5x11 viewable.
For comic books, it's a little better, since comic books are shorter and narrower...however, even comic books feel just a tad scrunched.

Sounds like the issue is that if you make the tablet any bigger, it's not going to be comfortable to carry and use for other things.  I don't know.  If the new surface was letter size, I would jump on that.

Innuendo:
Tablets by comparison can read books but also do everything that any laptop can do (pretty much) so from a design and usability perspective e-ink devices focus 100% of their design and usability on reading books compared to a tablet where book reading is maybe 5% of their design and usability.-elvisbrown (March 03, 2015, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

You definitely have a point, but I think people are moving to general purpose tablets from e-ink readers much like people moved from flip-phones, PDAs, and MP3 players to smartphones. People want one device with one power cable that they can pack around with them that does everything 'pretty well' rather than a few devices that each do one task 'excellently'.

Nod5:
Surface Pro 3 is a good option. But if I was about to buy something new for ebook reading I'd wait for Surface Pro 4 which I'd bet will be released together with Windows 10.

Another cool device, though too expensive, is the Sony Digital Paper.
http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/sony-digital-paper-review

mouser:
Nice find Nod5, that Sony Digital Paper looks very close to ideal for reading academic pdfs.. Too bad the price is so insane ($1000).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version