ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

2014-2015: Best tablet specs for ebook reading

<< < (2/13) > >>

mouser:
Well, in fairness, it's a very good question -- i suppose it partly depends on the person -- some people are more sensitive to such things.
It's a good question about whether 1200x800 on a 13.3 inch screen held 12-15 inches from the eye will be unpleasantly pixely...
At that price point it may indeed be acceptable.

Target:
as you say it's likely to be highly subjective, especially in a world where gigapixel displays are considered baseline.

It's probably also reasonable to expect that low end tablets are more likely to be a compromise than e-readers because they naturally incorporate greater complexity/functionality...

hmmmmm...

4wd:
For interests sake:

2014-2015: Best tablet specs for ebook reading

1440x900 7" Android tablet, using FBReader - I could zoom out two or three more times and it would still be perfectly readable to me at 300-600mm distance.

ewemoa:
Weight is a concern around here -- the Azpen appears to be 2.5 pounds (at least according to the Amazon page I see here).

For comparison, I've found the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 weight (1.2 - 1.3 pounds) to be just about right for the size.  When considering tablets, I often use this 10.1 inch tablet as a sort of base measure.  Granted the screen size differs, but in this case I wonder about the trade-off being made.  The Azpen appears to be about twice the weight...

On a side note, I was surprised to find being concerned by slimness after experiences with the 10.1 and the earlier Nexus 7 model -- though rounding of edges seems to help a bit.

I don't imagine it's practical, but IMHO it'd be nice to get some physical time with an actual device before deciding on a purchase...perhaps returns are possible?

xtabber:
The Nexus 7 (2012) is 1280x800 and works just fine for reading epub ebooks because text fonts scale to be readable on the small screen, so you don't notice the jaggies much.

The Nexus 7 (2013) has the same size screen, but the higher resolution (1920x1080) makes it noticeably better for reading pdf documents, which scale as an image rather than as flowed text.  Although some readers allow you to flow text in text based pdf files, all formatting is lost and I find it almost unreadable.

The Nexus 10 has 2560x1600 resolution on a 10 inch screen and I find it much easier to read most pdf documents on it.  But it weighs more than twice as much as the Nexus 7 (21.3 oz. vs. 10.5 oz.) which gets tiring after a while if you are holding it up while reading.  I tend to use the Nexus 7 to read epub books most  of the time.

I personally find higher resolution to be more important than screen size, but YMMV.  I just don't think that 1280x800 on a large screen would be a very pleasant experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version