ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts on "Piracy".

<< < (5/11) > >>

wraith808:
If we use Ad Blockers...is that classified as piracy?  I mean...These websites that serve ads see that as their primary form of income and a way of you paying them for seeing that content...but if I cannot see those ads...then am I technically stealing content?
-Stephen66515 (November 25, 2014, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say that connection is sketchy at best, IMO.  Ads are not the price that the people are placing on content, it is the act of trying to monetize visits to the site.  If there was a paywall over the content- yes, getting past that would be removing the pay requirement to see the content, but in the other case, they're trying to get money from your visit, even as they attempt to direct you to visit (linkbait, etc).

40hz:
@Ren - I know a lot of aspiring young musicians that could benefit greatly from your GDT app who either can't a afford (or can't be bothered) to buy a license for it. If I decided to broadband a cracked version of your GDT out to all and sundry - and encourage them to do the same - do you maintain you have not been harmed in any way? And if so, are you suggesting it's ok by you to do it? And that I should feel free to do so? (kidding)

Because if that's the case, why trial or license it at all? Why not just put it out there with a "donation requested" button and call it a day?

I'm missing something... :huh:

That, or you're the only person I know running a business who doesn't take opportunity cost/revenue factors into consideration. And more power to you if you can afford to do that. That's probably worth a Nobel Prize in economics if you can do a mathematical proof of how that's "a good thing."

(Provided it held up under peer review of course.  ;) :P ;D)

40hz:
If we use Ad Blockers...is that classified as piracy?  I mean...These websites that serve ads see that as their primary form of income and a way of you paying them for seeing that content...but if I cannot see those ads...then am I technically stealing content?
--- End quote ---

FWIW some sites do say exactly that - and refuse to load if they detect an ad blocker at work.

I voluntarily disable ad blocking on many sites I visit where I know they're depending on ad revenue for their continued operation. However. I'd be happier paying a reasonable subscription fee and skip the ads since 'offer-acceptance-tender' is a lot cleaner a way to do business than a quid pro quo. That said, I'll also stop visiting them if their ad stream becomes obnoxious. There's an implied social contract to this arrangement. I'm good with that.

KynloStephen66515:
If we use Ad Blockers...is that classified as piracy?  I mean...These websites that serve ads see that as their primary form of income and a way of you paying them for seeing that content...but if I cannot see those ads...then am I technically stealing content?
--- End quote ---

FWIW some sites do say exactly that - and refuse to load if they detect an ad blocker at work.

I voluntarily disable ad blocking on many sites I visit where I know they're depending on ad revenue for their continued operation. However. I'd be happier paying a reasonable subscription fee and skip the ads since 'offer-acceptance-tender' is a lot cleaner a way to do business than a quid pro quo. That said, I'll also stop visiting them if their ad stream becomes obnoxious. There's an implied social contract to this arrangement. I'm good with that.
-40hz (November 25, 2014, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Personally I also do unblock ads on some websites (Such as Imgur) which I use a lot and I accept that they have to cover the costs somehow.  I also actively click any ads that I find remotely interesting on order to send a few pennies their way.

I would do the same here at DC if ads were served if I am honest :)

Renegade:
(Provided it held up under peer-to-peer review of course.  ;) :P ;D)
-40hz (November 25, 2014, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

FTFY. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version