ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts on "Piracy".

<< < (6/11) > >>

Renegade:
Here's a fun real-world example of "piracy/not piracy" for people to chew on...

In Australia, films and movies come out significantly later than elsewhere.

So, many people in Australia get a VPN account, then get a Netflix account (or similar) in an area where movies and TV shows are available.

Is this piracy?

I believe that the answer is obvious:

Yes. It is piracy.

You see, there are copyright and licensing agreements in different areas. The local providers in Australia do not have the rights to distribute a lot of content.

By getting a VPN and foreign Netflix account, these people are circumventing the jurisdiction of Australia, the laws, and they are stealing from the local providers.

You see, there's an opportunity cost there. Were the people merely to wait a year or so until the proper licensing could be negotiated, those local providers would then be able to sell/rent that content to people in Australia.

But noooo! Instead people get that content when it hasn't been properly licensed for their region. This is immoral. It is theft. It is piracy.

I say we keelhaul 'em all!  8)

eleman:
I say we keelhaul 'em all!  8)
-Renegade (November 26, 2014, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

What did you expect? They are the grandsons of criminals exiled to down under. I say burn them all. But only after we pile stakes through them.

4wd:
In Australia, films and movies come out significantly later than elsewhere.

So, many people in Australia get a VPN account, then get a Netflix account (or similar) in an area where movies and TV shows are available.

Is this piracy?

I believe that the answer is obvious:

Yes. It is piracy. -Renegade (November 26, 2014, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I don't believe the answer is that clear cut.  Broadly speaking, in Australia if you can find a product cheaper anywhere in the world and you can get it to Australia to use then that's OK as far as the governing body in Australia is concerned, which is the ACCC.  And is what the idea of competition is supposedly all about.  It doesn't matter if the product is or isn't for sale in Australia.

What you would be violating would be Netflix' and their distributors Terms & Conditions.

That's not piracy, that's bypassing regional restrictions which is probably summary execution under DMCA.

Another interesting example is games on Steam, technically it's illegal, (under Australian Consumer Law), for Steam to not allow Australians to buy a, (Steam based), game from Russia where it's far, far cheaper and register against their Steam account.
Since Steam offers their service in Australia, they are required to abide by Australian law but do they?  Nope.

What did you expect? They are the grandsons of criminals exiled to down under. I say burn them all. But only after we pile stakes through them.-eleman (November 26, 2014, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

And yes, a pair of my ancestors were convicts - one was a highwayman and the other a prostitute  ;)

wraith808:
^ +1  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Actually, I don't believe the answer is that clear cut.  Broadly speaking, in Australia if you can find a product cheaper anywhere in the world and you can get it to Australia to use then that's OK as far as the governing body in Australia is concerned, which is the ACCC. 
-4wd (November 26, 2014, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

<puts on & sharpens horns while twirling black & red trident />

Ok. Sure. I'm cool with that.

The products are available for $0.00 at EZTV, The Pirate Bay, and a plethora of other places.

8)

Their check-out process is super fast & easy too! 5 stars for customer service!

What you would be violating would be Netflix' and their distributors Terms & Conditions.
--- End quote ---

And thus also violating the copyright under which they are licensed. There is still a copyright violation there, even if there's some fancy-dancy, mumbo-jumbo, legalese layer of abstraction. The copyright is still violated because the copyright license is issued conditionally, and by violating the T&C, you're also violating the copyright conditions it is based upon.

That's not piracy, that's bypassing regional restrictions
--- End quote ---

So... are you trying to say that whether or not something is pirated depends on the laws of the country? ;)

http://www.freeandlegaldownloads.com/resources/copyright

Countries with no known copyright law: Afghanistan, Anguilla, Aruba, the Cayman Islands, Eritrea, the Marshall Islands, Nauru, San Marino, São Tomé, Turkmenistan, and Vanuatu.
--- End quote ---

So, if somebody downloads a movie from The Pirate Bay, while at home, it's piracy, but if they go on vacation to Aruba and download the same movie, then it's not piracy?

A given, specific action X cannot not be X simply because somebody wrote a few words on a piece of paper.

e.g. If I eat a piece of toast, can someone undo my eating of that toast with a piece of paper?

...which is probably summary execution under DMCA.
--- End quote ---

I would at least hope that they'd get a kangaroo court trial! 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version