ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Is it wise for amateur to invest time in NET Framework languages?

<< < (5/6) > >>

wraith808:
The big drawback to .NET is people won't try your program if they have to install yet another framework.  It tends to make you use what you figure most people already have on like .NET 2.x features.
-MilesAhead (November 21, 2014, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That might have been a consideration at one point... but that point is pretty far gone.  You can plan on .NET 4 at least currently (and that's what I code to).

phitsc:
The big drawback to .NET is people won't try your program if they have to install yet another framework.  It tends to make you use what you figure most people already have on like .NET 2.x features.
-MilesAhead (November 21, 2014, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That might have been a consideration at one point... but that point is pretty far gone.  You can plan on .NET 4 at least currently (and that's what I code to).
-wraith808 (November 21, 2014, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you want to target Mono as well you need to check what's available there though (e.g. no WPF).

phitsc:
What other languages can you advise me to learn? I considered Java but it's looks too hard.
-dmytron (November 19, 2014, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think C# is simpler to learn than Java. I'd say they are comparable in size and complexity, both the languages and the accompanying libraries.

MilesAhead:
What other languages can you advise me to learn? I considered Java but it's looks too hard.
--- End quote ---

I don't think C# is simpler to learn than Java. I'd say they are comparable in size and complexity, both the languages and the accompanying libraries.
-phitsc (November 21, 2014, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

C# Form Designer may feel familiar as I believe some people from Borland migrated to MS.  Also any experience in c type languages helps.  I haven't done much more than dabble with Java.  But I assume the portability is more straight ahead as it was designed in from the ground up.

I would definitely avoid Visual C++ Form Design as everything is just chucked into a header file that's one big mess.  If you wanted to code a module with no UI, or "engine," that's where it could come in.  But for hobbyist programming I think I'd learn C++ command line stuff first.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

-phitsc (November 21, 2014, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I first started migrating from Delphi, my two paths were Java and C#.

Today, I program in C#, because from my experience, for a Delphi programmer, C# is easier to become productive in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version