ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Is it wise for amateur to invest time in NET Framework languages?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Renegade:
I've downloaded it. You can safely delete the file.
-dmytron (November 20, 2014, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for letting me know.

Deozaan:
Could you please elaborate on this topic? How do you make cross-platform apps on C#?-dmytron (November 20, 2014, 02:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been using Unity which indeed uses mono for cross-platform support. But perhaps in a couple of years they'll just be using pure .NET since it's going open source. :)

MilesAhead:
The other development solutions are more popular.  But Eifel may be worth a look. It has been around since 1988.  The associated book, Object Oriented Software Construction is very technical.  At least I didn't understand most of it when I read it.  That may tend to put off those who might otherwise try it.

You would have to check the particulars for the IDE but I'd be surprised if it didn't produce compiled executable code for each platform.

I don't think it's all that far from Java in that, if I remember rightly, everything must be defined as a class before use etc..

phitsc:
If the question is about learning a programming language which is useful for a hobby programmer, I would not recommend learning Eiffel. While Eiffel is being used for production applications it is nevertheless mostly a niche language used primarily in academia (and probably only at ETHZ). Eiffel has interesting concepts from a computer science point of view (primarily its strong support for design-by-contract, and lately its verification support through AutoProof), but the useful ones have already found their way into more common languages.

MilesAhead:
If the question is about learning a programming language which is useful for a hobby programmer, I would not recommend learning Eiffel. While Eiffel is being used for production applications it is nevertheless mostly a niche language used primarily in academia (and probably only at ETHZ). Eiffel has interesting concepts from a computer science point of view (primarily its strong support for design-by-contract, and lately its verification support through AutoProof), but the useful ones have already found their way into more common languages.
-phitsc (November 21, 2014, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it doesn't have a form designer then it's probably not what the OP is looking for anyway.  I too tried Lazarus when I was looking for something Delphi 64 bit.  Things simple in Delphi 5 seemed like a struggle in Lazarus.

The big drawback to .NET is people won't try your program if they have to install yet another framework.  It tends to make you use what you figure most people already have on like .NET 2.x features.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version