topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NEMO UX - the shape of the desktop to come?  (Read 4749 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NEMO UX - the shape of the desktop to come?
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Details are sketchy. But if you're a fan of all those scifi desktops you see in movies like Oblivion or Minority Report, the NEMO UX from Sungkyungkwan University, Republic of Korea just may be what you've been waiting for:

The computing environments looks like SF movies would come to our real life in the not too distant future. NEMO-UX project is the first step to make the computing environment looks like SF movies, and would be a big, important part of IT.

Everybody can think new display computing environment watching SF movies or future display clip nowadays. Like this, Tabletops, Wall-size displays, and Smart glass are coming into your real life.

From long time ago, NEMO-UX team have dreamed the new computing generation. Soon, new display would be taken for granted. Now, NEMOSHELL software platform made will give you a new experience.

It was recently demoed at the ACM ITS 2014 in Dresden

Amazing. The classic messy desktop enshrined in a computer interface! Hows that for progress?  ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NEMO UX - the shape of the desktop to come?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:41 PM »

I did have my phase when I really did want comps to look like that!!

Now it's just a bit tricky to imagine how you don't just have A "Windows-y/Apple/'Nix paradigm" (or command line).
Part of it is the strange new skills called for!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:23 PM »
I still like the scene in Minority Report where Tom Cruise gestures with his hands while talking and his computer tableau turns to a steaming pile.  :)

It looks like the type of interface where messing it up is way easier than making order out of the mess.  :)

Edit:  Perhaps a middle finger raised should be the gesture for Undo.  ;)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Not a particularly ergonomic setup. Your neck and fingers would be aching by the end of the day.

I still like the scene in Minority Report where Tom Cruise gestures with his hands while talking and his computer tableau turns to a steaming pile.  :)

Yes, it would be better to hang it on the wall, then you could be standing up and your arms would at least get some exercise. In fact lifting your arms up a lot is supposed to be good for you as it provides your brain with blood supply (apparently that's why conductors live such long and healthy lives, I heard once...).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:48 PM »
gah!!  mmph...gaga!!
OK, I want all those slick touch toolbars.  Get them to me now!!