ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where do you buy your printer ink?

<< < (4/6) > >>

bit:

Before our 4-in-1 printer-scanner died, I found an excellent source at CastleInk.
I speak absolutely from personal experience they have great prices and wide selection.
-bit (November 15, 2014, 08:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am a bit confused as to what they are selling here. This is rather pricy, but it's not clear if they are an unmentioned brand compatible with Canon printers, or the Canon branded ones. Reading the description does not really answer that. And I am unsure what info is in their chart. Does "Brand" refer to the cartridge brand? Or the printer brand it's made for? And the image is too small to be able to read anything on it to be able to tell that way, either.

For that price, I would expect the real thing, but who knows?-app103 (November 15, 2014, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
^I stand corrected.
I'm done with the printer game; I've seen the scandals of printers programmed to waste ink and quit working after they're out of warranty.
They also print an invisible set of microdots that ID your printer serial number on every page; my typewriter never pulled that sneaky trick.

About that 'concept printer' that 'tans' the paper with a laser, it occurred to me a wood-burning plaque-making machine could be reset to 'tan' one page at a time at lowest 'burn setting', but it would only give one page every few minutes, on an expensive machine.
But look at all the ink you would save.

In fact, I'm so put-off by the printer scandal of overpriced ink wells combined with printers deliberately programmed to waste the ink 'cleaning' the jets, or set to quit working after x-months, and allowed to lapse into 'new Windows version' incompatibility limbo, that I would happily switch all my photo printouts to b&w on a wooden plaque-burning machine with its laser power set to 'paper tan' if only I could get my hands on one for an affordable price.

Imagine what could happen if an artistically-minded friend found out you had just acquired such a machine, and discovered to their delight that they could now write (i.e. 'laser burn') on any number of formerly impossible mediums.

For my limited needs, a manual Royal typewriter would suit me, but I usually just do handwritten, and have a great liking for gel ink pens.

FWIW, this thread also prompted me to wonder what would happen if I cut out a flat white paper donut and stuck it in my CD-image burner.
Maybe if I could find some plain white newsprint paper, that stuff fades to off-sepia in a day or two in the sun and might work in the CD-burner.

J-Mac:
For my Epson inkjet printers I had very good luck with 123 InkJets
-MilesAhead (November 15, 2014, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I used cartridges from the same company (123inkjets) for my Canon All-in-Ones (830 & 860), though I purchased them from Amazon. Never had a problem with them at all. I never even got a dry cartridge.

When I got my Epson Workforce AIO I couldn't find ink cartridges for it from that company on Amazon, unfortunately.

Jim

bit:
Altho this is purely wishful thinking, I'm surprised at how inexpensive some laser engraving machines are becoming, as here.
Interestingly, while ink printers continue to waste consumers' money on exorbitantly over-priced little ink pots, blowing ink to 'clean heads', and auto-croaking in planned stealth obsolescence, the inkless laser engraving machines are steadily dropping in price.
In between the two domains, 'concept printers' are 'tanning' paper ink-free but never offered in the 'real world' for public sale.
We are so close to having an off-the-shelf laser engraving machine that can self-feed (or -what the heck- manual feed) notebook-size typing paper, and pseudo-'engrave' with a laser at an ultra-low power setting (thereby also possibly extending the lifespan of the laser tube) and produce black & white text or image 'print-outs'.

MilesAhead:
That laser engraving is interesting. I wonder if maybe someday they'll get it to engrave in color using some chemical in the paper.  Like some new kind of stealth "ink" that only shows up when bombarded by light of a certain wave length or intensity or some other variable factor.

Edit:  I guess that sounds suspiciously like toner.  But I don't remember how laser printers work.. if I ever really knew. :)

bit:
I read somewhere lasers can change the color of metal by the wavelength of the cut-scan.
Not sure what could be done with paper, but perhaps a partial effect like 'smokey color' could be produced (just wild conjecture).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version